The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple DNS on one server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Outofmymindyo, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Outofmymindyo

Outofmymindyo Member

Hello all,

I'm trying to configure my server to be setup to use 4 nameservers. 2 for each of the 2 domains that should have nameservers. I would like to use the following:

**.**.**.154->ns1.domain1.com
    **.**.**.155->ns2.domain1.com
    **.**.**.157->ns1.domain2.com
    **.**.**.158->ns2.domain2.com

Although I haven't been able to find any documentation on how to setup the second domain to act as nameservers, the first one is running perfectly. I've tried going through the same steps as when I added my own, but to no avail. If anyone could tell me which files need to be edited and what information I need to change, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Outofmymindyo

Outofmymindyo Member

I was also wondering if anyone has found a fix for the error received when trying to add a DNS zone under WHM. The specific error is "Sorry [] is not a valid domain."

3. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Fastest way...

1. Create the account for domain2.com
    2. edit /etc/nameserverips
    3. edit the zone for domain2.com, ensure your NS records reflect the domain2.com nameservers and add A records for ns1 and ns2.
    4. editing the zone should have restarted DNS, but you may need to restart it again.
    5. Create host records at your registrar for the new nameservers and modify your dns settings at your registrar for domain2.
    6. Wait for propogation:)

4. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

I'd like to point out that having ns1 and ns2 on the same machine is a bad idea... the restriction of needing ns1 and ns2 is "meant" to force people to get a second dns host, for when the first is overloaded/inaccessible. (They're "supposed" to be on seperate machines)

5. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Multiple DNS on one server

Actually, if ypu are really trying to follow the RFC's, they should not only be on different machines, but should also be on different class c's.

6. Outofmymindyo

Outofmymindyo Member

Yes I understand they shouldn't be on the same machine, but at the current time this server isn't meant for anything even remotely serious. It's used more as a gameserver than anything.

7. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Multiple DNS on one server

Please don't just insist on the rfc without giving the reason for them...
    insisting on putting them on different class Cs has caused more than one client of mine to think it was ok to put them on the same machine, if the two addresses were on different class Cs.
    The RFCs suggest putting them on different class Cs, on different networks, on different machines. In different countries would work for clients in the United States, just not for Europe.

:humor: On different continents shows promise though except for Russia, which belongs to two :) :humor:

The idea is that if one goes down for network OR geographical reasons(think the last power outage that blacked out Ontario and the eastern united states) the other nameserver should be far enough to be unaffected.
    They also recommend three nameservers, instead of two, for added protection, but that brings up maintenance nightmares for many people.