The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple dns.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by popescu_oge, Oct 15, 2009.

1. popescu_oge

popescu_oge Member

Hi,

I'm kind of new in this dns, hosting, server "world".

I gave some domains. Each domain has this dns settings:
    ns1.serverA.com, ns2.serverA.com and ns1.serverB.com, ns2.serverB.com.

Two questions:
    1. Why is it that when serverA for example is down, the Web Browser of the person who is visiting my domain gets the "no response" error?? I mean shouldn't his browser load the web page from serverB automatically??:confused:

2. And another one. When I set the dns for any domain and hit save, the nameservers get saved in another order. So, what is the order in which this dns get saved???? And under what principle toes this work???And in what order they get loaded by the visitator???

Thanks.

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    1.) If the physical server is offline the domain will appear down. Is each DNS/name server on the same physical machine?

2.) Where is the DNS being set? If this is at the domain registrar, it might not be possible to "re-order" the way in which they are listed; however, this should not have a negative effect on using the domain.

3. popescu_oge

popescu_oge Member

There are 4 nameservers, 2 physical machines, 2 nameservers for each.

I was hoping that if one physical server is offline, it will try the other nameservers (if they are other nameservers) for one that is online. That was the reason that we set the second physica machine.

4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

You are asking about implementing a high availability (HA) configuration which would allow your site to remain online to all traffic as long as at least one server with a copy of your site is still online.

What you describe in your question itself though is more descriptive of a network round robin configuration which could be used but if any servers were down, you'd have a random chance of either hitting an online server or hitting the down server when you try to connect.

Cpanel does not support either of these directly but this is something I could certainly help you setup if you were interested in doing that.

5. popescu_oge

popescu_oge Member

Yes, I am interested.

6. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    If using cPanel DNS Clustering, DNS functionality will still work, but typically if the domain is setup in a virtual host on just one of the servers, if the server that hosts the domain's virtual host is offline then the web site may appear down.

For additional details about cPanel DNS Clustering I recommend reviewing our documentation as linked below:
    Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration

It is possible, as Spiral mentioned, to setup a custom solution for hardware-level clustering or other high-availability configurations; if something like this is setup then the domain could be accessible. As a starting point, if this is of interest I suggest inquiring with your data center or server hosting vendor about possible hardware clustering and high-availability solutions that they might have available.