The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple domains for one account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jbwiv, Jun 21, 2005.

1. jbwiv

jbwiv Registered

Guys,

I'm pretty new to CPanel, and having an issue. I'm in the midst of a move from a privately hosted non-CPanel server to a new CPanel server. I have one account on the server I'm moving from (and manage from the command line) that has multiple domains it's responsible for. I'd like to maintain this structure on my CPanel server. So, my account "domain_admin" might be responsible for a.com, b.com, a.net and b.net.

I'm at a loss at how to do this, and not finding much help in the CPanel documentation. I found a forum post that suggested I should create the account as a reseller, which I did, and then I went into Reseller permissions and gave this account the ability to create accounts, but that still doesn't remove the requirement to have one user account for each domain name, from what I can tell. Is there no way to add a new domain (with its own web root) without adding a new user account?

How should I go about this?

Thanks!
    jbwiv

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You could add the domains as Addon Domains in a single cPanel user account. This points the addon domains to a subdirectory of the main account and allows you to create email users for each domain, etc.

3. jbwiv

jbwiv Registered

Jonathon,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using PowerVPS hosting, and I can't seem to find any mention of Addon Domains in my CPanel. It's a VPS, so I'm root and administrator. Is this a module I have to install?

Thanks for your help!!!

Jbwiv

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You do need to create a cPanel account first in WHM and then login to the cPanel account and there should be an Addon Domains option. If not, you may have it disabled in the WHM > Feature Manager.

5. xvihost

xvihost Active Member

Multiple domains per account

Here is one thing that I don't understand, and that seems very confusing.

When you add an Addon Domain, for instance xvihost.org, to my account on which the primary domain is xvihost.com, it adds a subdomain to xvihost.com also. Why? I don't really care if I have xvihostorg.xvihost.com, all I really want is xvihost.org to have it's own subdirectory that will be it's root if it is called up.

What's the deal here? Is there a reason for the subdomain?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom :confused:

6. prixone

prixone Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    maybe for preview while it isnt transfer to your host.

like if its not publicated yet, you could access trhu the subdomain till it is fully publicated.

just an idea about what can be.

7. xvihost

xvihost Active Member

This is very reasonable, but the way it is worded is very bad. It makes it sound as though xvihost.org is simply going to redirect the browser to the subdomain (xvihostorg.xvihost.com in this case).

Thanks,
    Tom

8. vincentg

vincentg Well-Known Member

I don't know why cpanel is doing it this way.
    Maybe a code problem - who knows.

They should have done it so it becomes a new public_html folder.

H-Sphere simply names each folder the same as the domain instead of public_html.

Maybe someday they will change it but for now to get a domain within a domain.

Vin