The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Domains On One Hosting Account

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Sreekanthadoor, May 27, 2016.

1. Sreekanthadoor

Sreekanthadoor Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi Cpanel Team,
    I am a Subscriber and here I need an explanation about the "MultiDomain Hosting on Single account"

Does it effect search engine rankings?
    For example, say I have 2completely different sites all hosted on a shared account. The main domain on the account was maindomain.com and each other site had it's own domain. However, you know how when you do that, it will setup the seconddomain.com and it will also be seconddomain.maindomain.com as well. That shows up in google if you search for the site etc. and I was wondering does this effect listings on search engines, is it harder to get placed? Is there any way of getting around it on one account or should I just have multiple accounts? I know search engines list you partly based on content and keywords, so google might think all the sites that also show up on a subdomain of maindomain.com may not have relevant content and are just very random. Does this make sense? Hopefully someone knows. Thanks.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    When creating a new addon domain via your cPanel, you can set the path to where that new addon domain is located on your account. If you set it to be outside of root, this isn't a concern.

3. Sreekanthadoor

Sreekanthadoor Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for the reply.
    What I did was Cpanel> Addon Domains> New Domain > Password > Add Domain
    Then after, what happened was, there were two domains created
    1. 123.domain.com
    2. domain2.com

two domains pointing to one website.

So, my question to the experts of Cpanel is- Is it becomes an SEO issue? Two domains, 1 website. Is it affect my website rankings like penguin updates, etc. If so, what is the best way to fix it?

#3 Sreekanthadoor, May 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2016
  4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    2 domains were not created here when performing these steps though. If you wanted 2 domain names to point to the same exact website, you'd want to create an "Alias" instead.
    cPanel > Domains > Aliases

This question has been asked more often than you might think. Simply google this:
    two domains one website SEO

I've already answered the question. If having the directory structure of an Addon domain that you mention concerns you, simply modify the "Document Root" section of the forms when adding the Addon Domain.

When you did the steps you mention above, one of your options is to add the Document Root. This is auto populated when you filled in the forms above it. That auto filled data can be changed from:
    public_html/example.com
    to
    example.com

The directories are still created, but the addon domain's directory and files are located outside public_html/

You can read more about modifying the Document Root of an Addon Domain, here:
    Addon Domains - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

SEO concerns and suggestions might be best discussed on a forum for that sort of conversation. You'll find millions using the search string mentioned above to get you started.