The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Domains pointing to my dedicated ip

Discussion in 'Security' started by manan, Jun 15, 2010.

1. manan

manan Active Member

Hi,

I have a site with a dedicated ip on a linux cpanel server. The problem is that someone is registering multiple domains and constantly pointing to my ip address. How can i stop this from happening. Is there some way i can do it through htaccess to only allow the domain http request or any mod_security rule as i have blocked many domains but they keep on coming. Please let me know.

#1 manan, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could use a mod_rewrite rule to redirect all traffic sent to that site to your domain. Then you can keep the traffic but make sure they know it is on your site.

3. manan

manan Active Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, i do not want to re-direct the traffic as the dedicated ip belongs to a clients domain and he would want to keep all the traffic except for the ones that is generated by just pointing to the ip address by other domains.
    What i want is that if the request for that domain comes through from other domains header then it would deny it and only accept host header of the original domain. Deny all http request except when the request comes from the original domain.
    Is it possible through a re-write rule.

#3 manan, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  4. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

What problem, exactly, is this causing on your server? Is it causing it to overload, or ???

If I register a domain and say it's on your server but it's really not, then your server is just going to say "uh, who?" and drop it.

If I understand what you're suggesting, then that will cause problems in that the only way your site can be accessed is by typing it into the browser directly... no external linking, no search engines, etc.

5. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

What purpose would someone have for doing this activity as registering a domain and pointing to your IP when that site isn't in Apache (httpd.conf) will simply cause the domain that isn't on your machine to not work anyway.

The only reason I could possibly see someone doing this would be to cause your site to be attacked by traffic that they have directing to their domain in order to redirect to your machine. If they keep pointing it to 1 set IP, why not just change the IP entirely and give that one back to the IP provider?