The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Domains rDNS !!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mohamed.mfarag, Feb 15, 2011.

1. mohamed.mfarag

mohamed.mfarag Registered

Hi every one,

I have a problem with my cPanel mailing that my mails is rejected from remote mail servers because it does not have reverse DNS record.

Now i have multiple domains hosted on my WHM on the same server and each domain (account) has its own mail MX record.
    So how can i create a rDNS for each one so mails does not get rejected because of no rDNS record exist
    EX :
    Forward Zone:
    xxxxxxx.com ----------> 1.2.3.4
    yyyyyyy.com ----------> 1.2.3.4
    zzzzzzz.com ----------> 1.2.3.4

Reverse Zone:
    4 --------> ?!!!

Im really new to cPanel forum and i know that this question may have been asked before but i couldn't put my hand on it so im sorry if it is a repeated question.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The rDNS record or PTR is set by the provider of the IP, so you would not be able to configure the rDNS records for the IP zone unless you were given control of the IP zone by the IP provider, which is not usually the case. Instead, you would need to contact the IP provider (whoever allocated the IP for the machine to you), then ask them to set the PTR record for the IP to be the same as the server's hostname.

You can get the server's hostname by running:

Code:
    hostname -f
    In root SSH on the machine.

Thanks.

3. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

If you have multiple IP addresses on the same machine, should each entry point back to the hostname, or just the main IP?

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Each entry doesn't have to point back to the hostname. The main reason for these pointing to the hostname would be to match the mailhelo on the system for exim. If you have exim set to use the dedicated IP to send from, you can match the PTR to the actual domain name for dedicated IPs instead and then have the /etc/mail_reverse_dns and /etc/mailhelo files match the domain instead.

These options are set to use a dedicated IP for outgoing emails in WHM's Exim Configuration Editor under the "Domains and IPs" section.