The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple FTP users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NixTree, May 5, 2011.

1. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Is it possible to use same FTP user name for multiple account; for eg: main user name for one account and additional FTP for another account.

The reason I asked it is - I was able to create accounts on some servers and some servers returned "user name reserved" error - conceptually it should work though....

But I met with an issue on the server on which I was able to create two accounts. I will explain it...

We have an account a.com with user name a; we have another account b.com with user name b and b.com has a dedicated IP. Then I created an additional FTP user for b.com, "a".

So when I attempted to FTP to the server using b.com as the host and simply "a" as the user name( additional FTP for b.com ) and the corresponding password I was able to login to the homedir of the additional FTP user.

But the problem is cPanel consider the login as "a@IP"( the main user) and it will add the resource usage(like bandwidth) to the main account "a". I am pretty not sure whether this will cause any other issues and the additional user will gain the access of a.com files(since it has different UID, it won't I guess). But the cPanel side looks weird.

Please advice.

Thank you.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The additional FTP user will need to use a@b.com for login username. All additional FTP users will use this format.

3. NixTree

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks you for your Infopro..

I know that additional FTP users need to be login as user@domain and we adviced the client to use the same. But as I explained before, if we give just "user", cPanel treatit as the main user and the bandwidth will be counted for that suer which supposed to be a bug????

Please advice

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm not sure I understand the question.

5. NixTree

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am sorry for the poor description here...what I would like to convey is...

If I have a dedicated IP for b.com, I can authenticate the additional FTP user just as "a" not as "a@b.com" with the corresponding password of the additional user - if we use b.com as the FTP host( I believe this due to how FTP authentication works - How cPanel handles FTP authentication ).

I agree that if I use any other domain/server host name , this will generate auth failed error - but in this case we can authenticate additional user successfully just as "a". It will correctly login me into the home dir of additional user "a"

But this login will be treated as the main login of the main user "a"(a.com) by cPanel ( /var/log/messages shows the same - login of "a@IP" ) and the FTP bandwidth will be added to the main user rather than adding it to b.com.

Hope this is much clear now! :)

6. NixTree

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Infopro,

Ok...it is more easy if I write the steps to recreate this....

1. Create an account a.com with user name a
    2. Create another account b.com with user name b. Assign a dedicated IP for b.com
    3. Create additional user for b.com account, named "a"
    4. Try to FTP to the server using the following details
    FTP host - b.com
    user name - a ( not a@b.com)
    password - password for this additional user
    5. You may see that this login will be treated as the main user "a"(a.com" and bandwidth will be updated for a.com rather than for b.com for each FTP transaction.

I know that this is an exceptional case and we can recreate this iff b.com has a dedicated IP and we use b.com as the host, but this is a bug right? Transferring data in the account of another user isn't a good thing in a shared environment...

Thank you,

7. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I can't duplicate this here. On top header of these forums is a link to report a Bug. Please do so in order for the developers to take a closer peek at this, and link them to this thread with your steps to duplicate.

Thanks!

8. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you using ProFTPd rather than Pure-FTPd? Also, how are you logging into FTP for the machine - basically, which FTP client under which FTP protocol (regular FTP, sFTP, or TLS)?

9. NixTree

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We use Pure-FTP on our server and I was able to reproduce the issue using regular FTP to login(using FTP command from my terminal, but the actual client was using Filezilla-regular FTP I guess)..anybody can recreate this other than me here?