The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple IPs for single domain in /etc/mailips

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Alex_11th, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Alex_11th

Alex_11th Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi there,

we have the file /etc/mailips, which works great for domain/IP mapping while sending emails.

Now the simple question: how can I assign TWO (or more) IPs to ONE domain, to be picked up randomly or "round-robin"?

Say, if I want my emails for the domain test.com to be sent from IP 1.2.3.4 AND 4.3.2.1 AND 1.1.2.2? Will that be possible? Can I just write something like this:
    ------
    test.com: 1.2.3.4; 4.3.2.1; 1.1.2.2
    ------
    ..or maybe somehow else?

Thanks.
    Alex

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. Alex_11th

Alex_11th Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That's a bit different case I think.

They are talking about IP rotation (external overwriting the /etc/mailips file on cron or whatever). They have a pool of IPs and they are doing that for maintain the sender's reputation etc (mistly possible they are preparing to send spam and don't want to get blocked easily).

My question is to do a FIXED one-time setup, that will tell Exim to utilize a couple of existing IPs to send to one [selected] domain to balance the network load. I need to send something 100.000emails/month to this domain. There is already such a functionality "domain via IP" for single IP - is there any "extension" for multiple IPs that will do the same thing?

I don't want to mess with overwriting that file on cron, or something like that - I would like to set exim one time, and forget about that for the rest of my life. :)

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator