The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multiple ns1 dns servers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by newjustice, Dec 4, 2015.

1. newjustice

newjustice Registered

Aug 18, 2011
    This is my story for what I want to do and I don't know if it will work.

I have a setup with 4 nameservers, ns1,ns2,ns3 and ns4.

At the end of this month I want to remove 2 nameservers IP's from my cluster , and I'm thinking to create 2 new vps servers that will take place for the actual ns1 and ns2 server and set them as ns1 and ns2.

Then I will add the new ns1 and ns2 dns server to the actual dns cluster that contain the old ns1 and ns2 server and this will result with 6 nameservers, 2 x ns1, 2 x ns2, ns3 and ns4.

After this I will add the new ns1 and ns2 dns entry at the domain registry and sync the dns zones to the new ns1 and ns2, then I THINK I WILL HAVE 4 working nameservers where ns1 and ns2 has 2 ip's (2 for ns1 and 2 for ns2).

After this is complete at the end of the month I will remove the old ns1 and ns2 dns servers from the cluster.

In theory this will not make downtime at the dns level for client that are using my nameservers, ns1, ns2, ns3 and ns4. Am I right or not ?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator