SOLVED Multiple PHP error_log files

f1alan

Mar 19, 2019
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We have recently moved from a VPS with CentOS 6 to a new one with CentOS 7, both using WHM and cPanel.

On the old server we had multiple websites and domains but all hosted under a single cPanel user account. When migrating to the new server we took the opportunity to separate this into a cPanel user account for each website / domain.

Previously we had it configured so that all PHP errors would go to a single error_log file in /var/log/apache/error_log. We did this by commenting out the following line in the global php.ini:

Code:
;error_log = error_log
We have done this on the new server but are still seeing an error_log file in each folder where PHP files are executed. I see that there is a "MultiPHP INI Editor" for each cPanel account but none of these are populated by default, therefore I assumed they would be using the global configuration.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I believe they are all goes to error_log but under their respective public_html folder. Did you set the same PHP version for all of them? If not make sure it is enabled and set in each PHP ini file.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@f1alan - on my personal system, by default I do get the error_log created in /home/username/public_html. I also confirmed that commenting out the line you mention in the global configuration stop the log from being written locally and the log entry only shows up in /etc/apache2/logs/error_log.

In order to ensure you've commented out the correct global file, I'd recommend making that change from WHM >> MultiPHP INI Editor under the "Editor Mode" tab for the version you want to adjust. Can you try that and let me know the results?

f1alan

Mar 19, 2019
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@f1alan - on my personal system, by default I do get the error_log created in /home/username/public_html. I also confirmed that commenting out the line you mention in the global configuration stop the log from being written locally and the log entry only shows up in /etc/apache2/logs/error_log.

In order to ensure you've commented out the correct global file, I'd recommend making that change from WHM >> MultiPHP INI Editor under the "Editor Mode" tab for the version you want to adjust. Can you try that and let me know the results?
Thanks for your response. I double checked the setting and it was indeed as I described above. However, it seems to be behaving as expected now. I think I must have confused some old log files yesterday (which I have now deleted). Sorry for the false alarm.