The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Servers Same Nameserver?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by jthomas, May 10, 2007.

1. jthomas

jthomas Active Member

Hello

I am quite new to cpanel, but I was wondering if there was any way possible to set up my 3 servers to use the same nameservers and if so what would be the best way to set it up. Right now the way I set it up is that each server has its own domain name so that the nameservers will work properly. I would like to have it so that all 3 servers use NS1.mymaindomain.com and NS2.mymaindomain.com. I look forward to any of your help.

thank You,

Jeff

2. AlexV.

AlexV. Well-Known Member

jthomas:

Yes you can use the same nameservers.

On the same note, we offer DNS Cluster.

In addition of having a DNS Only version of cPanel which doesn't require licensing;
    http://layer1.cpanel.net/

3. AlexV.

AlexV. Well-Known Member

jthomas:

Did you intend to add the DNS zones manually on the primary nameserver, or what kind of implementation were you seeking.

I think the DNS Cluster could be potentially what you need, as it uses synchronization of dns zones when you create accounts or dns entries.

4. jthomas

jthomas Active Member

I really just wanted to set it up so that i have the same nameservers for all of my accounts across 2 or 3 servers.

For exampls, the nameservers that I want to use right now are set up on the first server and I also have the domain of those nameservers hosted on the server.

How should I set up this clustering so that an account that is on server 2 uses the nameservers that are on server 1.

Or even how would I set up NS1 on server 1 and NS2 on server 2 for redundancy purposes?

Also, if I am using the nameservers from server 1 then what do i set as the nameserver in WHM on server 2. I hope that wasnt too confusing.
    '
    thank you

5. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

I hate to keep being a pest about this, but try installing DNSONLY... the whole Compress::Zlib issue makes it practically impossible without a lot of hacking around things, and even then it doesn't appear to sync properly because of further Compress::Zlib issues.

6. jthomas

jthomas Active Member

Unfortunately I cannot do DNS only because I need to host on both of the machines. Here is what I did and let me know if it was right?

I set up the nameservers on server 1 as:

NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM
    NS3.MYDOMAIN.COM

On the second server I set up:

NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM
    NS4.MYDOMAIN.COM

I then clustered them. I directed a test domain to NS1 and NS2 and added the account to server 2 and it seems to work just fine.

Did I set this cluster up right and what should I do when I want to add another server to the cluster?

Also

I have the hostname on server 1 as ALPHA.MYDOMAIN.COM
    I have the hostname on server 2 as BETA.MYDOMAIN.COM

I can go to the apha address and i get the cpanel page, but if i go to the beta address it gives me a page not found .. is there anything i can do to either server so this will work?

Thanks,

Jeff

7. jrehmer

Does an A record for "beta.mydomain.com" exist?

8. jthomas

jthomas Active Member

would i need to create that a record on server 1 or server 2?

9. jrehmer

Which ever server is currently doing queries for that domain.

10. jthomas

jthomas Active Member

I got it .. firefox was blocking popups as soon as i logged in to whm it asked me to create an a record for the hostname .. now i can go to beta.mydomain.com and it works with no problems.. however there is just one little problem now .. the popup for the hostname a record comes up every time i log into whm on that server .. how to i get rid of that?

11. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

What problems do you experience with Compess::Zlib?