Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Multiple Servers Same Nameserver?

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by jthomas, May 10, 2007.

1. jthomas

jthomas Active Member

Hello

I am quite new to cpanel, but I was wondering if there was any way possible to set up my 3 servers to use the same nameservers and if so what would be the best way to set it up. Right now the way I set it up is that each server has its own domain name so that the nameservers will work properly. I would like to have it so that all 3 servers use NS1.mymaindomain.com and NS2.mymaindomain.com. I look forward to any of your help.

thank You,

Jeff

2. AlexV.

AlexV. Well-Known Member

jthomas:

Yes you can use the same nameservers.

On the same note, we offer DNS Cluster.

In addition of having a DNS Only version of cPanel which doesn't require licensing;
    http://layer1.cpanel.net/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AlexV.

AlexV. Well-Known Member

jthomas:

Did you intend to add the DNS zones manually on the primary nameserver, or what kind of implementation were you seeking.

I think the DNS Cluster could be potentially what you need, as it uses synchronization of dns zones when you create accounts or dns entries.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jthomas

jthomas Active Member

I really just wanted to set it up so that i have the same nameservers for all of my accounts across 2 or 3 servers.

For exampls, the nameservers that I want to use right now are set up on the first server and I also have the domain of those nameservers hosted on the server.

How should I set up this clustering so that an account that is on server 2 uses the nameservers that are on server 1.

Or even how would I set up NS1 on server 1 and NS2 on server 2 for redundancy purposes?

Also, if I am using the nameservers from server 1 then what do i set as the nameserver in WHM on server 2. I hope that wasnt too confusing.
    '
    thank you

5. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

I hate to keep being a pest about this, but try installing DNSONLY... the whole Compress::Zlib issue makes it practically impossible without a lot of hacking around things, and even then it doesn't appear to sync properly because of further Compress::Zlib issues.

6. jthomas

jthomas Active Member

Unfortunately I cannot do DNS only because I need to host on both of the machines. Here is what I did and let me know if it was right?

I set up the nameservers on server 1 as:

NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM
    NS3.MYDOMAIN.COM

On the second server I set up:

NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM
    NS4.MYDOMAIN.COM

I then clustered them. I directed a test domain to NS1 and NS2 and added the account to server 2 and it seems to work just fine.

Did I set this cluster up right and what should I do when I want to add another server to the cluster?

Also

I have the hostname on server 1 as ALPHA.MYDOMAIN.COM
    I have the hostname on server 2 as BETA.MYDOMAIN.COM

I can go to the apha address and i get the cpanel page, but if i go to the beta address it gives me a page not found .. is there anything i can do to either server so this will work?

Thanks,

Jeff

7. jrehmer

Does an A record for "beta.mydomain.com" exist?

8. jthomas

jthomas Active Member

would i need to create that a record on server 1 or server 2?

9. jrehmer

Which ever server is currently doing queries for that domain.

10. jthomas

jthomas Active Member

I got it .. firefox was blocking popups as soon as i logged in to whm it asked me to create an a record for the hostname .. now i can go to beta.mydomain.com and it works with no problems.. however there is just one little problem now .. the popup for the hostname a record comes up every time i log into whm on that server .. how to i get rid of that?

11. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

What problems do you experience with Compess::Zlib?