The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Shared IPs Possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ecoutez, Jun 13, 2002.

1. ecoutez

ecoutez Well-Known Member

I've generally attempted to spread out my shared IP clients across several IP addresses when I've setup Apache by hand. I do this mainly because I've had incidents where one particular website sets off some company's privacy filters, and they end up blocking both the site and its IP address.

The last time this happened, at least I only had about 6 sites being blocked from a particular company's users. Fortunately for me, one of the other sites we host FOR that company was on a different IP address.

Is there any way to do this currently in CPanel? I'd just like the option to add several more &shared& IP addresses into the mix.

Thanks,
    Jason

2. itf

itf Well-Known Member

The best result will be reached by IP based hosting but for multiple shared IPs you have to set them manually or modify scripts, cpanel does not support this feature.

3. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

bonjour ecoutez, (assuming it's french ;))

What do you mean by more shared ips? You can currently set up virtual shared accounts on any ip number you have available for that server. You can spread them any way you like.

I am interested about the 'privacy filters' that you mentioned. Could you give an example of how a filter would block the ip address?

4. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:b85dc5298c][i:b85dc5298c]Originally posted by moronhead[/i:b85dc5298c]

bonjour ecoutez, (assuming it's french ;))

What do you mean by more shared ips? You can currently set up virtual shared accounts on any ip number you have available for that server. You can spread them any way you like.

I am interested about the 'privacy filters' that you mentioned. Could you give an example of how a filter would block the ip address?[/quote:b85dc5298c]

Yes it is possible to use multiple IPs for name based accounts but you have to modify DNS, httpd.conf & proftpd.conf manually because WHM doesn't do it automatically (server IP is used for name based accounts by WHM scripts)

About restrictions, at destination networks if someone for some reasons restricts an IP address which multiple name based accounts are hosted on, no one at that destination could access to those domains, but you should solve this problem by restricting harmless and adult materials on the sites then there would be no reason to block the IPs. These filters could be any Inbount Outbout Routing filters or firewalls and etc. but it's impossible for name based accounts on a same IP restricting each other.

5. moronhead

itf, thanks for clarifying what ecoutez actually meant. ;)

You can use multiple ips for shared accounts without manual editing. For this you can either change the ip address in /etc/wwwacct.conf (first line - ADDR) or in edit setup in whm which does the same thing. The account creation script takes the info from that file. The next shared account will then be set up with the new ip. :)

6. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:69ae5cd384][i:69ae5cd384]Originally posted by moronhead[/i:69ae5cd384]

You can use multiple ips for shared accounts without manual editing. For this you can either change the ip address in /etc/wwwacct.conf (first line - ADDR) or in edit setup in whm which does the same thing. The account creation script takes the info from that file. The next shared account will then be set up with the new ip. :)[/quote:69ae5cd384]
    Yes your are right as I wrote in one of my last posts, scripts can be manipulated too thanks for your details but it can’t help much more because using multiple shared IPs are useful while they help to categorize domains, i.e. each reseller has all of its name based resold domains on its IP or all of domains with a same hosting package use a specific IP, or a certain user with multiple domains has all of them on a same unique IP

7. mooony

mooony Well-Known Member

[quote:44aecb7244][i:44aecb7244]Originally posted by moronhead[/i:44aecb7244]

You can use multiple ips for shared accounts without manual editing. For this you can either change the ip address in /etc/wwwacct.conf (first line - ADDR) or in edit setup in whm which does the same thing. The account creation script takes the info from that file. The next shared account will then be set up with the new ip. :)[/quote:44aecb7244]

I tried this. I changed the the ip in the setup section in whm. The ip shows up correct but when I add a account the ip is still the old one. Do it have to reboot the server to make it active?

m000ny-

8. moronhead

[quote:c3fbad2e6d][i:c3fbad2e6d]Originally posted by mooony[/i:c3fbad2e6d]

[quote:c3fbad2e6d][i:c3fbad2e6d]Originally posted by moronhead[/i:c3fbad2e6d]

You can use multiple ips for shared accounts without manual editing. For this you can either change the ip address in /etc/wwwacct.conf (first line - ADDR) or in edit setup in whm which does the same thing. The account creation script takes the info from that file. The next shared account will then be set up with the new ip. :)[/quote:c3fbad2e6d]
    I tried this. I changed the the ip in the setup section in whm. The ip shows up correct but when I add a account the ip is still the old one. Do it have to reboot the server to make it active?

m000ny-[/quote:c3fbad2e6d]
    You don't have to reboot. Since the last post things have slightly changed. Depending on whether the shared IP is to be used for root accounts or reseller accounts, try to create this file:

pico /var/cpanel/mainips/root[or reseller's username]

and put the required shared IP address in it.

Regards,
    Norman

9. mooony

mooony Well-Known Member

Thanks moronhead,

This works exelent.

did what you wrote.

Thanks again.

m000ny-