The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Shopping Cart Domains Under 1 Acct with SSL?

Discussion in 'Security' started by damiendefranco, Feb 28, 2012.

1. damiendefranco

damiendefranco Registered

Feb 28, 2012
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Good evening,

I am having some issues.

I only want 1 hosting account to have all 10+ of my domains under it. 7 of these addon domains have magento webstores that sell various niche products and I need SSL certificate for.

How do I make sure all my domains under my account can have SSL?
    My webhost doesn't have reseller account, and their SSL only covers the primary domain.

I don't understand how this is benefitial to small business like me. It makes so sense to spend $100 extra per year on each domain to have its very own account. Then purchase a dedicated IP & SSL certificate on top of that for 60-70/yr for each.

Isn't there another way?

Any new informaton in regards to this is much appreciated.
  2. KostonConsulting

KostonConsulting Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can purchase a multi-domain SSL certificate which is designed to allow multiple domains on the same IP address to use SSL. They vary in price from different SSL providers so the cost benefit may or may not exist.

A major reason to move these web stores to separate accounts is the security of customer data and reduction of liability. If the customers of these web stores are unique, you should not be storing all their data under the same hosting account. Should your account become compromised, attackers may easily gain access to the databases of all your web stores rather than just one.

As a result, you'd potentially lose all your businesses (or a good portion of your customers and good will) at once should such an attack occur. You could also face fines/charges from your payment processor for PCI compliance violations should credit card numbers be leaked as a result of an attack.

While having all the stores and domains on a single account may make things easier to manage, it also is adding risks to your business that may cost much more in the long run. I'd advise against it.