The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple SSL certificates for a single account

Discussion in 'Security' started by Jare, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Jare

Jare Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I have a customer that has one SSL certificate installed and has made a request for another certificate. Both are commercial certs. When I installed the second certificate for the second domain, it installed correctly, but the first certificate stopped working. cPanel offers the new cert also when visiting the first SSL secured domain. I did some googling and found out that cPanel only supports one cert per account. Some more googling, and I found out that it might be possible to achieve my goal by "editing userdata files" on the server. Well, I know how to SSH to my server and I would know what to do if this was just a basic Apache server, but it's not, so I don't know what these userdata files are.

Most of the posts I found when googling was few year old and suggested that every certificate need's its own IP address. I'm completely relying on SNI and never had issues with it, so I have never needed to give dedicated IP address to single customers. I understood that the single certificate limitation is based on the fact that in cPanel you can only give one dedicated IP per account. If it still is that way, so be it. I don't need (multiple) dedicated IP addresses per account :).

One suggestion was to create two accounts for the same customer. Maybe possible, but the problem is that the two SSL secured domains will have to point to the same www root. Would it be possible to make two accounts use the same home directory? I guess not.

In some cases a wildcard certificate could do. But in my case the domains are completely different: one is www. clientname.com and the other is clientname.mycompany.com .

Would a multi domain cert solve this problem? Could I just join two private keys together, two certificates together and two intermediate CA's together? The certs are from different authorities.

And about the userdata stuff I mentioned at the beginning, this old post was the closest I could find:
    Web Hosting Talk - View Single Post - 2 SSL Certs on 1 cPanel account is it possible?

I checked the two directories mentioned in the post, but couldn't find out a way to configure another certificate in any of these directories. Perhaps things have changed in the past years or I missed something important.

Thank you very much for your support! :)

#1 Jare, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please post the output from:

Code:
    cat /etc/redhat-release
    cat /usr/local/cpanel/version
    What problem do you encounter when attempting to install multiple certificates on an account using the traditional methods? For instance, what error did you encounter with the first certificate after installing the second one?

Thank you.

3. Jare

Jare Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

Code:
    # cat /etc/redhat-release 
    CentOS release 6.6 (Final)
    # cat /usr/local/cpanel/version 

cPanel gave no error messages. The second certificate somehow overrided the first one. When I visited the domain secured by the first cert, the server offered incorrectly the certificate that was installed for the second domain. Then I made a test and reinstalled the first certificate. After this the first domain was secured correctly, but a wrong cert was offered for the second domain.

My browser is Firefox 36.0, although I guess it doesn't matter.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look? You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

5. speckados

speckados Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Hi.

I write a article (on spanish) about this.

I've o one account mutiples SSL Certificate on 3 IP, on same account.
    - Removed -

/https://tamainut.com/blog/software/item/magento-multi-idioma-multi-dominio-y-con-distintas-ip-en-cpanel

Best regards.

#5 speckados, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  6. Jare

Jare Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks! I'll check this out when I have more time. Though I don't speak Spanish, so I have to use Google Translate :).

Btw, I opened the support ticket as suggested by Michael, but their kind answer was that this is not supported and that I could make a feature request. I will certainly do that when I have time.

I'll check your solution and report back here how it goes :). In the meanwhile, just in case, if anybody else has more advices, they are also welcome! Thank you all! :)

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  8. Jare

Jare Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The ID is 6174011 . Thanks.

9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I believe I see where the problem arises. You are attempting to install a certificate on a parked domain name. Parked domains cannot have their own SSL certificates because they do not have their own Virtual Host. You would have to remove the domain names as parked domains and add them as addon domains to allow them to have their own SSL certificates.

Thank you.

10. Jare

Jare Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Oh, so simple problem after all! :) Yes, I had one domain configured as an alias domain. Now I removed the alias and added the same domain again - this time as an addon domain, reinstalled the certs and now the secure connection works on both domains. Thank you very much, Michael! :)

11. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am happy to see that helped address the issue. Thank you for updating us with the outcome.