The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple SSL-enabled domains on 1 account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sindre, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Sindre

Sindre Well-Known Member

Hello,

I just came across what seems like a limit within the cPanel software. On a package with multiple addon domains, will it be possible to install a SSL certificate on more than one domain?

As far as I see, there is only a option to assign a dedicated IP to the main domain of the account, and all the addon domains will share the same IP.

Is there some workaround to this problem, or do my clients have to order separate accounts - one for each SSL-enabled domain? If that is the case, I think it sort of defeats the purpose of multiple domain hosting.

I will appreciate your advise on this matter.

Thank you,
    Sindre

2. FreedomBI

FreedomBI Well-Known Member

SSL certificates are per-IP by their nature. Encryption is negotiated before the request is processed, so there is no means for apache to select a different certificate. Each SSL domain requires its own IP. This is an HTTPS limitation, not an CPanel limitation (or even an Apache limitation).

3. Sindre

Sindre Well-Known Member

I know that. Maybe I should have worded my question differently.

There is no reason why it should not be possible to assign different dedicated IPs to the addon domains, although they are hosted under the same cPanel account. For example:

I have two domains, domain1.com and domain2.com hosted under one cPanel account.

Why is it not possible to assign IP1 -> domain1.com and IP2 -> domain2.com. If that was possible, it would also be possible to install several SSL hosts on one cpanel account, right?

#3 Sindre, Oct 1, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  4. Stuff4Toys

Stuff4Toys Member

If I am not mistaken the SSL Certs are domain specific? (am I correct?)

I have been able to share an SSL cert by setting up the primary domain/secondary domain like this

https://domain1.com/domain2/

On one server I have capitalized all the add-on domain folders so I have:
    https://domain1.com/DOMAIN2/

so at least customers still see their store's NAME in caps.

Does this help?
    JOhn ><>