SOLVED Multiple WHM Installations using 1 domain name and multliple glue records

701Hosting

Dec 15, 2017
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

Well my first WHM server is out of disk space and I don't have any easy options to add addtional disk space so I plan on adding another server. I currently have glue records setup for my hosting company domain as follows:

ns3.domain.com
ns4.domain.com

Those glue records are setup at the domain registrar. I plan on adding a new VPS server with the following glue records:

ns5.domain.com
ns6.domain.com

NS3-4 are on one machine and NS5-6 are on another. I want to use the same domain but am trying to figure out how I would configure the DNS. I want the machines to have different names. For example:

host1.domain.com (NS3 & NS4 - Different IP Address)
host2.domain.com (NS5 & NS6 - Different IP Address)

The domain for the hosting business is hosted both files and DNS on host1. How would I configure DNS to allow me to setup a 2nd hosting server but use the same domain name?

Thank You.

701Hosting

Dec 15, 2017
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Maybe I want to create a cluster instead. Any ideas on how to add additional WHM VPS servers but us a new subdomain? example. host1.domain.com & host2.domain.com. I would also need an SSL cert for both servers. Does AutoSSL work that way?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! What you're trying to set up is common, and doesn't require any custom configurations.

The easiest method would be to just be aware of where the DNS for your hostname and nameservers are managed. For example, your DNS for domain.com could be managed on host1.domain.com, but there's no reason you can't create A records there for host2.domain.com. The same goes with DNS - you can have nameserver.com records be on host1, but then have ns3 and ns4.nameserver.com point to host2. This would then let you create DNS records normally in cPanel and WHM just like you're used to.

Let me know if you need more clarification on that!

701Hosting

Dec 15, 2017
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Awesome. Thank you. So basically just create an A records (host2.domain.com) and 2 NS records (ns5.domain.com & ns6.domain.com) on host1 (that is where the main domain is hosted) using the normal DNS. I don't have to worry about glue records at the registrar then? Will I be able to generate an SSL cert for the host2 server?

701Hosting

Dec 15, 2017
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Sorry. I'm still a little confused and just want to get this right to avoid problems. When creating a new NS records it's asking for a "valid zone name" my other NS records show domain.com. for the zone name. Do I need to create an A records for the 2nd server first and use that as the "valid zone name"?

Thank You.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You'll still need to create the glue records at the registrar level to tell them those nameservers exist, as they have to be registered in order to work properly in the DNS system.

Depending on your registrar, some require the DNS to be in place first before the nameserver is registered. If you're not sure what should go in their form it would be best to reach out to them directly for additional guidance.

701Hosting

Dec 15, 2017
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have the glue records created at the registrar pointing to the new server. I'm confused to where I create the DNS records? On the new machine or on the old one. The old one manages the DNS for the domain. Do I create the DNS records on both machines?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
All the DNS for the nameservers themselves will be handled on the old machine as that's where the primary domain is. You're just telling the DNS system to point the nameservers over to the new system. That way, you can use the DNS on the new machine properly. Here's a little chart that might help:

Main domain:
domain.com, hosted on host1, DNS managed on host1
Subdomains:
host1.domain.com - A record points to host1
ns1.domain.com - A record points to host1
ns2.domain.com - A record points to host1
ns3.domain.com - A record points to host2
ns4.domain.com - A record points to host2
host2.domain.com - A record points to host2

As long as the DNS is properly configured the free cPanel certificate will be applied to the hostname on each machine normally.