The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Munin installation being overwritten on 11.36

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JamesOakley, Mar 5, 2013.

1. JamesOakley

JamesOakley Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I build munin-node from source on my servers, as I then get things set up exactly how I want it, and it's a reliable way to have munin-node without the full munin. I've learnt that on 11.36, I need to change target_settings: munin to "unmanaged" in /var/cpanel/rpm.versions.d/local.versions. If it says "installed", the cPanel RPM maintains the installation.

Well, last night during nightly upcp, I got a notification from lfd that /etc/init.d/munin-node had been altered. So I had a look, and my munin master had stopped receiving updates from that node a few minutes earlier. This was because the remote IP was no longer Allowed in /etc/munin/munin-node.conf. Sure enough as I suspected, cPanel's nightly update had updated Munin for me, to 1.4x (from the 2.1x that I had compiled from source).

I then checked /var/cpanel/rpm.versions.d/local.versions, because this is supposed to prevent this. Munin had changed from unmanaged to installed.

Surely, /scripts/upcp should respect, rather than overwrite, target_settings in the local.versions file?

This is the second time this has happened to me - the previous occurrence was on a different server during a different upcp run.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might like to open a ticket to cPanel Technical Support about this.

3. JamesOakley

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I could - I thought I'd see if others have experienced this first. There may be a simple explanation, in which case I didn't want to trouble Support.

Ticket number: 3832031

#3 JamesOakley, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  4. JayHaitch

JayHaitch Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Yep, I also ran into this. Hopefully this gets fixed quickly.

5. JamesOakley

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This has been fixed. Internal case number is 64062.

You need to use unmanaged in local.versions, not uninstalled. If, at any point in the past, the RPM installing mechanism has over-written your Munin installation, you need to break the link between Munin and the RPM database, otherwise it could be overwritten again or removed. "rpm -e --justdb --nodeps".

6. JayHaitch

JayHaitch Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I had mine set to "uninstalled" but have now changed that to "unmanaged". Thanks...