mbrando

Dec 31, 2004
Myron said:
One month later, all graphs are still running.....still amazed things are still chirping here.
Hi,

Have you rebooted your server in the last month? My graphs all work fine until the server is rebooted.

Mike

Shinichi Kato

Mar 7, 2005
Saitama-ken,japan
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
installed munin after error "for writing: Permission denied"

Why? what's error?

WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.9.0-S48
CentOS 4.4 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

Starting Munin Node: [ OK ]
Warning: Could not open log file "/var/log/munin/munin-graph.log" for writing: Permission denied
Warning: Could not open log file "/var/log/munin/munin-graph.log" for writing: Permission deniedOct 18 13:08:58 - Starting munin-graph
Warning: Could not open log file "/var/log/munin/munin-graph.log" for writing: Permission deniedOct 18 13:08:58 - Processing domain: uncleweb.biz
Warning: Could not open log file "/var/log/munin/munin-graph.log" for writing: Permission deniedOct 18 13:08:58 - Graphed service : open_inodes (0.11 sec COPYING ChangeLog INSTALL Makefile Makefile.config README-apache-cgi.in README.api RELEASE build build-stamp dists install-sh logo.eps munin-doc-base.html munin-faq-base.html node server svn-commit.tmp test-mktemp 4)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warning: Could not open log file "/var/log/munin/munin-graph.log" for writing: Permission deniedOct 18 13:09:01 - Graphed service : exim_mailqueue (0.08 sec COPYING ChangeLog INSTALL Makefile Makefile.config README-apache-cgi.in README.api RELEASE build build-stamp dists install-sh logo.eps munin-doc-base.html munin-faq-base.html node server svn-commit.tmp test-mktemp 4)
Warning: Could not open log file "/var/log/munin/munin-graph.log" for writing: Permission deniedOct 18 13:09:01 - Graphed service : vmstat (0.09 sec COPYING ChangeLog INSTALL Makefile Makefile.config README-apache-cgi.in README.api RELEASE build build-stamp dists install-sh logo.eps munin-doc-base.html munin-faq-base.html node server svn-commit.tmp test-mktemp 4)
Warning: Could not open log file "/var/log/munin/munin-graph.log" for writing: Permission deniedOct 18 13:09:01 - Processed node: un129.uncleweb.biz (3.05 sec)
Warning: Could not open log file "/var/log/munin/munin-graph.log" for writing: Permission deniedOct 18 13:09:01 - Processed domain: uncleweb.biz (3.05 sec)
Warning: Could not open log file "/var/log/munin/munin-graph.log" for writing: Permission deniedOct 18 13:09:01 - Munin-graph finished (3.07 sec)
Install Complete (munin 1.2.4)

vissa

May 12, 2003
munin - not found after install

For users having the following problem after installing munin
-----
Not Found
The server was not able to find the document (./munin/index.html) you requested
Please check the url and try again. You might also want to report
this error to your webhost.
-----

Please vote for the following bug report
http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=4723

Please note I attempted the rrd reinstall as others mentioned and it did not work.

-vissa

vissa

May 12, 2003
FYI I went into /usr/local/cpanel/modules-install/munin-Linux-i686
and ran ./install

Now munin shows up, though I haven't received any data in the graphs yet (will update if/when I do). The addon install script is definitely not working properly with the latest cpanel since it didn't' even try installing it. It looks like it just downloaded it.

-vissa

vissa said:
-----
Not Found
-----

Please note I attempted the rrd reinstall as others mentioned and it did not work.

-vissa

ncrossland

Sep 23, 2003
mbrando said:
Hi,

I had the same issue. Here is what I did to get it working:

Before starting uninstall Munin via WHM.

1) Forced cpanel update of perl to 5.8.7:
from http://www.ducea.com/2006/06/02/cpanel-perl-upgrade/

2) then forced RRD tool update:

3) Install Munin via WHM.

That got it installed and working. Only took about 5 hours to figure it out.

Mike
Thanks -- I had the same problem -- this fixed it.

I think the cPanel installer for Munin should check that Perl is up to date before proceeding with the installation. It obviously doesn't work with older versions!

mbrando

Dec 31, 2004
ncrossland said:
Thanks -- I had the same problem -- this fixed it.

I think the cPanel installer for Munin should check that Perl is up to date before proceeding with the installation. It obviously doesn't work with older versions!
I agree. It could throw an error to let you know that some prerequisits are not installed to the versions needed.

Mike

scara

Dec 30, 2004
Hi,
-----
Not Found
-----

Now that bug has been marked as WORKSFORME.
I found, for my server, that the issue was related to an uncorrect RRDtool Perl setup 'cause each of the Munin scripts (read them into the cron entry: /usr/bin/munin-cron) was reporting
Code:
Can't locate loadable object for module RRDs in @INC (@INC contains: ...
So after trying the /scripts/rrdtoolinstall, I fixed my server making 2 symbolic links to give the right visibility to these files below:
Code:
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/lib/perl/auto/RRDs/RRDs.so
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/lib/perl/RRDs.pm
and now Munin works ;) !

Regards,
Matteo

BG06

Oct 20, 2006
Munin would be pretty useful monitoring the loads if it wasn't the script causing the most of it. It is really a pain in the ass.

Especially if you only have VPS (1Ghz, 1GB-RAM) I wouldn't recommend using it.

scara

Dec 30, 2004
Hi,
Munin would be pretty useful monitoring the loads if it wasn't the script causing the most of it. It is really a pain in the ass.

Especially if you only have VPS (1Ghz, 1GB-RAM) I wouldn't recommend using it.
you're right but to tell the truth the issue is not strictly related to Munin but to the way *any* monitoring system performs data extraction: i.e. Munin runs a cron every 5 minutes and for some of the monitored services it performs grep searches even in big (100MB+) log files (if you are using a poor written plugin it could open a log file each time from start instead of from the last position where the previous run has stopped!): unfortunately there are many others crons running at the same time in a CPanel server, that's another reason why the load get high every 5 minutes.
So basically the decision of turning on Munin is a trade off between:
  1. the need of monitoring services;
  2. the need of monitoring services that do not offer any "view my status" feature so you're in need to parse their log files;
  3. the extra load added just for few seconds (3-5s for a real server) each five minutes.

Regards,
Matteo

Mar 14, 2006
Even on my servers that just have a celeron I haven't seen the load jump because of munin.

A few things that can help:
1. Edit your logging conf's so that your logs don't get too big.
2. Remove unneeded plug ins.
3. Check the munin error logs to see if anything is timing out.

scara

Dec 30, 2004
Hi,
Where is the munin config file?
  • /etc/munin/plugin-conf.d/cpanel.conf is the file in which each plugin could be configured;
  • /etc/munin/plugins is the folder that contains the plugins running on the server, each of them as a symlink to the (real) files in the folder /usr/share/munin/plugins.
Whenever you add or remove a plugin you need to:
  1. configure it, if any configuration is needed;
  2. restart the munin-node service.

Ciao,
Matteo

IberHosting

Jun 1, 2005
Nice feature indeed - but has anybody found a quick way to show munin only in root's WHM, not in every reseller's WHM ?
Hello,

Im not sure if anybody posted it, but I have it available installed from WHM and show outside of WHM; http://www.iberhosting.net/servidores/munin/

It is available inside the WHM, and also outside of the WHM in that URL.

Thanks,

Antonio

t9clkclnr

Jun 11, 2004
Southern California
no data for graphs

I haven't had any data on my graphs for about 10 hours. Also, the time stamp on the graphs varies from Jul of this year to august.

this is rather funny. I uninstalled this about then becuase of the server loads. I re-installed to help analyze some things on my server(s), and no data on my initial server install.

bummer.