The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MX, A, NS, CNAME and so on

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sunsystems, Aug 17, 2006.

1. sunsystems

sunsystems Active Member

A poor soul looking for some salvation !!!

My situation is as follows:
    I have one domain "domain.com" which has 2 nameserver on it. (ns1/ns2.aaaa.com) with a webspace of 100MB on a windows server with 10 email accounts running from it.

What I want to do is leave eveything intact as it is on the windows server and I want to add the same "domain.com" to a Linux server with a webspace of 1GB where I want to host the site for the client. I need only hosting and ftp to function, no mail part reqd at all.

So I made an account with the same name "domain.com" in the WHM without any problems---ok so far. Now the quetsion:
    1. To make my site visible in the browser via Linux, do I have to add the Linux nameservers to the already present nameservers on the domain.
    So it becomes,
    ns1.aaaa.com
    ns2.aaaa.com
    ns1.bbbb.com
    ns1.bbbb.com
    Is this OK. what do I have to do to make my site visible through Linux server and windows ?

2. Do I have to edit the MX record in my Linux server to point it to the windows server IP (I am not makng any email accounts on the Linux server, so does MX record really matter ??).

3. Lot's of people here talk of changing MX and or A record and or CNAME record in WHM to point it to the other server for emails, but then there are another records in WHM zone called
    mail-14400-IN-CNAME-domain.com
    www-14400-IN-CNAME-domain.com
    ftp-14400-IN-A-domain.com
    Now what are these records for and what really needs to be changed.

-what change comes about by changing MX record (does it mean that because I remove the previous nameserver ns1/ns2.aaaa.com and so the MX record edit is required for that server to to still handle my mails. Is this the function of MX edit ???)

i know that's lot's of quetions rolled into one, but I think that many newcomers will benfit from the answers given.