The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MX Change

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimjoe, Feb 15, 2002.

1. jimjoe

jimjoe Well-Known Member

Customer has mail to stay at some mail server outside of us. I assume I go to &Change MX Entry&?

Then I asked customer to go into Outlook and tell me what they had for incoming POP3. It gave an IP.

Can I just put that IP into the MX change? (I see that it can also be done thru cpanel, which says...
    &You must entry a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) as the MX destination. &.

Would an IP qualify for that?

Thanks, Jim

2. Daniel

Daniel Well-Known Member

No you can't use an IP address. You must use a domain name.

3. jimjoe

jimjoe Well-Known Member

The customer has their own mail server, and i thought to enter an mx record to have it point to a different mail server, you HAD to have an ip. anyway, they tell me it has to be an IP. When i ask if there is any domain name, they gave me the domain name we already have on the server with us, so that doesn't do any good.

They also want to add &mail& to the account so it can be mail.theirdomain.com

Maybe this is a function cpanel doesn't do? if not, what it the benefit of pointing to another domain - would it be where someone has more than 1 domain name, but wants all the email to come to only 1 of them?

Thanks!

4. Daniel

Daniel Well-Known Member

In that case all you need to do is point the subdomain mail.domain.com to the IP they gave you. Then point the mx record for the domain to mail.domain.com. That way all mail goes to mail.domain.com which in turn goes to the IP of their mail server. You will also need to remove their domain from /etc/localdomains. If you don't all mail from your server will be sent to their account on your server not their mail server.

5. jimjoe

jimjoe Well-Known Member

[quote:a7c2ac604c][i:a7c2ac604c]Originally posted by Daniel[/i:a7c2ac604c]

In that case all you need to do is point the subdomain mail.domain.com to the IP they gave you. Then point the mx record for the domain to mail.domain.com. That way all mail goes to mail.domain.com which in turn goes to the IP of their mail server. You will also need to remove their domain from /etc/localdomains. If you don't all mail from your server will be sent to their account on your server not their mail server.[/quote:a7c2ac604c]

Thanks for all your help Daniel.

1) so i would set up a subdomain called &mail&?
    2) is there a way to remove from /etc/localdomains thru whm?
    3) which domain to i remove - domain.com or mail.domain.com?

6. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

Jim-

This is tough......
    Since you are adding accounts to this machine (I assume), /etc/localdomains will continue to be built with that domain regardless of if you pull it out , and if you lock the file it will only cause new domains on the box to not work properly.

The dns modification is easy, from the shell it is easiest.... I'm not sure if WHManager supports editing to the extent that you need to.... I guess I do too much from the shell.

Anyway email me and we'll work something out if possible.
    :p

7. Daniel

Daniel Well-Known Member

[quote:1e2f2df8c2][i:1e2f2df8c2]Originally posted by jimjoe[/i:1e2f2df8c2]

[quote:1e2f2df8c2][i:1e2f2df8c2]Originally posted by Daniel[/i:1e2f2df8c2]

In that case all you need to do is point the subdomain mail.domain.com to the IP they gave you. Then point the mx record for the domain to mail.domain.com. That way all mail goes to mail.domain.com which in turn goes to the IP of their mail server. You will also need to remove their domain from /etc/localdomains. If you don't all mail from your server will be sent to their account on your server not their mail server.[/quote:1e2f2df8c2]

Thanks for all your help Daniel.

1) so i would set up a subdomain called &mail&?
    2) is there a way to remove from /etc/localdomains thru whm?
    3) which domain to i remove - domain.com or mail.domain.com?

[/quote:1e2f2df8c2]

1. setup a subdomain called mail.domain.com
    2. piont mail.domain.com to the IP of the mail server they gave you
    3. change the mx record of the domain to mail.domain.com
    4. remove domain.com from /etc/localdomains you will need to do this in ssh you can't do it in WHM.
    5. send a test massage

That's all there is to it :)

8. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

Daniel-
    curious how would we prevent that domain from being rebuilt into localdomains? that file is built on a new account addition it appears, and when mailperm is run.... among other things.

Scripting that seems possible but also not a sure-fire fix either.
    What is your take on that?

Danke.

9. Daniel

Daniel Well-Known Member

Cpanel will add the domain back? That will not work at all. I have many clients that use their own mail server (or big mailbox or something). If that is true they will not receive any mail sent from the server. Is this something that has changed lately? Cpanel should only add or remove the domain when I add or remove the account.

10. Daniel

Daniel Well-Known Member

The above was in response to your first reply feanor :)

I didn't know cpanel added the domain back. I should be getting some complains soon if that is the case.

(I guess I need to check on that) :p

11. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Active Member

Sorry to bring this back from the dead

Has there been any answer on how to stop cpanel from putting domain names BACK into /etc/localdomains?

I'm probably resurrecting a long-dead thread (and missed what's I'm looking for in the search) but this is an important issue.

12. joana

joana Well-Known Member

am interested in a solution for this as well, anybody?

13. sasha

sasha Member

Just reviving this topic. Anyone has the way to stop domains from poping back in localdomains ???

14. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes it reads the domain to local domains, quite a pain really, still looking for a fix.

15. Keegan

Keegan Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Trying this...

removing it from localdomains, and userdomains

16. sbrad

sbrad Well-Known Member

Same problem.
    Hope we (meaning someone smarter than me) can solve it.

17. sasha

sasha Member

I hope &we& visits this board

18. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

Question: the subdomain you don't want to be added to localdomains, is it listed in the corresponding /var/cpanel/users file?

19. sasha

sasha Member

It is actual domain i don't want added there. (to make sure ensim reads MX record for the domain rather then routing mail locally ) and yes it is listed in /var/cpanel/users as this is regular hosting account, they just want their mail handeled with different mail server.

I am thinking that there should be the mxdomains file or something that gets read before localdomains are recreated, and then all entries found in that file do not get entered in localdomins.

At this point I believe (and i am probably wrong) that only thing that recreates /etc/localdomins is /scripts/mailperm and there would no be much problem resolving this there , but I was hoping that there is a more obvious, standard soulution as &Change MX record& does show up in the CPanel and WHM.

20. netarus

netarus Well-Known Member

Anyone know the 'official' solution to this? We have a client that also wants to host a mail server offsite. What is the procedure?