ultralion

Nov 14, 2012
Viareggio
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
i'm newbie and i'm trying to setup my VPS but with problems with Mail Exchanger.
Starting from beginning, i have a VPS wich i changed "Hostname" like server.mydomain.net. When Cpanel was making change.. i've seen some warning on MX but i didn't understand at all what was happening.
I configured out also my nameserver and i created a record A for "server.mydomain.net" (in My DNS ZONE editor NOT INSIDE VPS or CPANEL but on Godaddy account).
When i make a check on "Dne Health Check" everything seems working except for "Mail server host name in greeting" i'm getting this error:

server.mydomain.net. -> server.mydomain.net -> IP OF THE MACHINE -> IP....static.giga-dns.com
Spam recognition software and RFC821 4.3 (also RFC2821 4.3.1) state that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting MUST have an A record pointing back to the same server.

So i check the MX ENTRY in my WHM control panel and i tried to modify this entry "IP....static.giga-dns.com"
It sais me "Failed to modify serial number"
So i can't edit, add, delete any MX Record. I'm asking... i can fix myself this to work properly? Or maybe i have to ask my provider (Vps mainteiner) to modify this???
I started with a Cpanel just installed on board.. it's possible that "hostname" machine still make conflict with my custom hostname?
Many Thanks for your reply

P.S. I ADD this topic to this too
http://forums.cpanel.net/f34/custom-hostname-cpanel-304802.html wich i suppose is same problem creating the conflict

Last edited:

ultralion

Nov 14, 2012
Viareggio
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
SOLVED I reply by myself. I could change the "hostname" PTR on a separate panel of giga-international. Now evereything seems resolve at best :D

Nope... Not yet fix inside Cpanel.
Now DNS HEALTH status work and get correct "hostname" PTR but still i can't edit, add or remove the old hostname in "MX ENTRY" still same error
"Failed to modify serial number"
I suppose is a Cpanel problem now

Last edited: