The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MX ENTRY Error in Whm Cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ultralion, Nov 20, 2012.

1. ultralion

ultralion Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i'm newbie and i'm trying to setup my VPS but with problems with Mail Exchanger.
    Starting from beginning, i have a VPS wich i changed "Hostname" like server.mydomain.net. When Cpanel was making change.. i've seen some warning on MX but i didn't understand at all what was happening.
    I configured out also my nameserver and i created a record A for "server.mydomain.net" (in My DNS ZONE editor NOT INSIDE VPS or CPANEL but on Godaddy account).
    When i make a check on "Dne Health Check" everything seems working except for "Mail server host name in greeting" i'm getting this error:

server.mydomain.net. -> server.mydomain.net -> IP OF THE MACHINE -> IP....static.giga-dns.com
    Spam recognition software and RFC821 4.3 (also RFC2821 4.3.1) state that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting MUST have an A record pointing back to the same server.

So i check the MX ENTRY in my WHM control panel and i tried to modify this entry "IP....static.giga-dns.com"
    It sais me "Failed to modify serial number"
    So i can't edit, add, delete any MX Record. I'm asking... i can fix myself this to work properly? Or maybe i have to ask my provider (Vps mainteiner) to modify this???
    I started with a Cpanel just installed on board.. it's possible that "hostname" machine still make conflict with my custom hostname?
    Many Thanks for your reply

P.S. I ADD this topic to this too
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f34/custom-hostname-cpanel-304802.html wich i suppose is same problem creating the conflict

#1 ultralion, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. ultralion

ultralion Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    SOLVED I reply by myself. I could change the "hostname" PTR on a separate panel of giga-international. Now evereything seems resolve at best :D

Nope... Not yet fix inside Cpanel.
    Now DNS HEALTH status work and get correct "hostname" PTR but still i can't edit, add or remove the old hostname in "MX ENTRY" still same error
    "Failed to modify serial number"
    I suppose is a Cpanel problem now

#2 ultralion, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012