The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MX entry

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Sarfaraz, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Sarfaraz

Sarfaraz Member

what does MX entry in cPanel do??

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The MX entry points to the server that handles mail for your domain. By default, a new Cpanel account is set up so that the machine that the account is on is set to handle mail for the domain. But there may be times where somebody orders an account for the web hosting only and their actual mail service is performed by another mailserver offsite.

You use the MX Entry to set up mail so that it is delivered to the machine that is actually handling mail.

An MX entry should never point to an IP address. An MX entry needs to point to a hostname. Then that hostname must resolve to an IP address via an "A" record.

Scenario: I host my website on the local Cpanel machine, but I host my mail on a mail server on our local LAN with the IP of 12.10.xxx.xxx and the hostname of internal.mydomain.com.

My DNS zone file would look like this on the Cpanel server:

mydomain.com. IN MX 10 internal.mydomain.com.
    internal.mydomain.com. IN A 12.10.xxx.xxx

And I would specifically make sure that the MX entry in the Cpanel account was pointing to internal.mydomain.com.

Once that is configured, I'd find my domain ( mydomain.com ) listed in /etc/remotedomains and it would NOT be listed in /etc/localdomains .

Mike

3. Sarfaraz

Sarfaraz Member

thnx mike..