The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MX Record Setup Error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zorba, Mar 11, 2012.

1. zorba

zorba Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There is something wrong with the email setup at my VPS host - which when I attempt to send emails into it produces the message "Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=mx.mydomain.org.uk.cust.a.hostedemail.com type=A: Host not found" - where "mydomain" is the key element of my real domain name.

Checking with MXToolbox also shows an error in that the IP Address shown alongside the MX record is 0.0.0.0 - but on checking my domain records I find that the setup of my VPS is similar to that of my shard hosting server. That is to say that there is an MX record set up pointing to mx.mydomain.org.uk.cust.a.hostedemail.com and a "mail" CNAME record pointing to the same place.

Despite extensive research, I cannot work out what is going on - though it may be obvious to those with experience. In particular I do not understand what ".cust.a.hostedemail.com" part means - is this some kind of reference to my internal mail exchanger or an external mail exchanger?

All assistance gratefully received...

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Any errors using this site to check your domain?
    /http://www.intodns.com/

3. zorba

zorba Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Infopro,

Sorry- failed to turn on notifications again - I keep expecting them to be turned on by default for my own postings like another forum I use (for family history)...

No, I'd checked with intoDNS and found no issues, but one or two comments are odd so have posted full results for MX section here (replaced actual domain with mydomain) :

"MX MX Records Your MX records that were reported by your nameservers are:

0 mx.mydomain.org.uk.cust.a.hostedemail.com No A Record (no glue either)

[These are all the MX records that I found. If there are some non common MX records at your nameservers you should see them below. ]
    Different MX records at nameservers Good. Looks like all your nameservers have the same set of MX records. This tests to see if there are any MX records not reported by all your nameservers and also MX records that have the same hostname but different IPs
    MX name validity Good. I did not detect any invalid hostnames for your MX records.
    MX IPs are public OK. All of your MX records appear to use public IPs.
    MX CNAME Check OK. No problems here.
    MX A request returns CNAME OK. No CNAMEs returned for A records lookups.
    MX is not IP OK. All of your MX records are host names.
    Number of MX records OK. Looks like you only have one MX record at your nameservers. You should be careful about what you are doing since you have a single point of failure that can lead to mail being lost if the server is down for a long time.
    Mismatched MX A OK. I did not detect differing IPs for your MX records.
    Duplicate MX A records OK. I have not found duplicate IP(s) for your MX records. This is a good thing.
    Reverse MX A records (PTR) Your reverse (PTR) record:
    You have reverse (PTR) records for all your IPs, that is a good thing.
    "

Is the comment: "No A Record (no glue either) " the root of the problerm?

Regards,

Richard Andrews

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You can enable Subscriptions for all posts you make in your options, here.

Yes, I would think it could be.

Me either, but it sounds like something is not configured correctly. You might do yourself some good to open a ticket to cPanel Support and let them take a closer look so that you can gt this resolved quickly.

You can Contact cPanel from that "Support" menu, top right corner of any page in WHM.

5. zorba

zorba Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Infopro,

Thanks - I think that I've configured automatic thread subscription now - the explanation below this option was a bit confusing!

I also did not realise that my subscription to cPanel enabled me to get direct support from them - my hosting provider provides very limited information about what one gets with their services!

Anyway, I've now fired off a support request and we'll see what happens...

Regards,