The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MX Record Updates

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Damon Anguiano, Jun 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Damon Anguiano

Damon Anguiano Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am an email administrator for a company and have many email clients attached to CPanel, Mostly Outlook. Recently we were switched to a new email server by the provider. In the process, the MX records for our 3rd Party Spam filter became invalid. To fix the validity in the Spam Filter, i needed to update the MX Record in CPanel.

In doing so, the Email Filter read the Updated MX Record As Valid, however, as expected the email stopped working. My Question is, If i update the MX record in Cpanel will i have to change the server settings on everyones mail clients?
    OR, can i add a new MX record a long side the current MX record (changing Priority, of course) and expect the new MX record to propagate properly?

2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    MX records tell the rest of the Internet where to send mail for a specific domain name.

Is the hostname that the domain's MX records are pointing to accepting mail for that domain name?

3. Damon Anguiano

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    If i understood your question correctly, yes.

Our old mail server was not CPanel, but something else. I started working here at the time of sever switchover. The old MX record was mail.domain.com, which is now invalid. It is also the Incoming/Outgoing Server in our companies mail clients.

The Filter wont except the previous MX anymore, so it needed updated to the Filters recommended MX setting to validate, which was successful (domain.com.inbound10.mxlogic.net) upon changing in CPanel.

When i updated it in CPanel is when the mail stopped coming in. (I did change it back to the previous to make the mail start coming in again).

All of the Mail Clients (outlook) are set with the incoming and outgoing server set to mail.domain.com (the previous). Would i need to update the server settings in the clients to the recommended MX to make the MX Record update work?

4. sparek-3

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm really not following you on this, so you may want to take what I say with a grain of salt.

If your domain name - let's call it example.tld - has their MX records set to pointingg to example.tld.inbound10.mxlogic.net (let's also assume that you just have 1 MX record, thereby nullifying the priority of that MX record) then whatever physical server is behind the example.tld.inbound10.mxlogic.net server (whatever IP address that resolves to) would be handling mail for example.tld.

That means if I send an email to someone@example.tld that message is going to go to example.tld.inbound10.mxlogic.net to be handled.

Now, example.tld.inbound10.mxlogic.net has to be set up and configured to accept mail for example.tld. If it's not, then this can't continue.

Whatever and however the mail server on example.tld.inbound10.mxlogic.net is configured, it will deliver that message to someone@example.tld, assuming that someone@example.tld is a valid email address on it's system (and how that system handles invalid email addresses).

What example.tld.inbound10.mxlogic.net does with the message after it has been accepted just depends on how example.tld.inbound10.mxlogic.net is configured to handle this.

Your email users would need to check whatever server example.tld.inbound10.mxlogic.net is sending the delivered message to. The administrators of the example.tld.inbound10.mxlogic.net server would be the ones to tell you that. I don't know the answer to that.

5. Damon Anguiano

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Exactly. I follow everything you said until the very end. That the "email users would need to check the server of example.com".
    I know i keep describing this, but hopefully i can pinpoint where my confusion is below. When we changed servers, what was affected was the MX in the Spam Filter, somehow became invalid, which was what requested the updated MX for success in Cpanel.

Previous DNS:
    example.com

Previous MX:
    mail.example.com

Previoius Incoming/Outgoing Client to Server

mail.example.com

New DNS:----------------------

example.com

New MX:
    example.com.inbound.10.mxlogic

New Incoming/Outgoing Client to Server
    ?? Unsure

So, The Previous MX became invalid in the Filter, requiring it to be updated to the Filters recommended New MX.
    When i did that, the emails stopped functioning due to the MX record changing in the server causing an invalid connection.
    The mail no longer pointed to where the email is pointing.

If i have to update the MX in Cpanel to the new MX the filter requested, will i need to update every email clients Income/Outgo to accept example.com.inbound.10.mxlogic instead of mail.example.com?
    Does Updating the MX Record affect the New Incoming/Outgoing Client to Server in Outlook?
    This is where i am lost.

*My network is not in Group Policy, so i would need to visit every email client individually, if this is the case.

#5 Damon Anguiano, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  6. sparek-3

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't know what you mean by the word filter. Filter has no meaning in the context of MX records. Maybe example.com.inbound.10.mxlogic is filtering messages some how, but that's not done at the MX level.

You will have to contact the administrators of the example.com.inbound.10.mxlogic server about this.

What are they doing with the message after it is accepted? Where are they delivering the message to?

You're asking what end-users should be using as their mail server to connect to to check email, I don't know the answer to that.

It's going to depend on where example.com.inbound.10.mxlogic is sending the message after it is done doing whatever it is it is doing to the message.

More than likely - I'm just assuming - but when you had the MX records set to mail.example.com it was resolving to the same server that was/is hosting example.com ... a cPanel server. So mail for any @example.com was picked up by Exim (SMTP) on the server and delivered to a mailbox on the user's account and checked with Dovecot (IMAP/POP3) by the end user.

Now, with the MX records set to example.com.inbound.10.mxlogic, mail for @example.com addresses are going some place else, they are going to example.com.inbound.10.mxlogic. I don't know what example.com.inbound.10.mxlogic is doing with the message after they accept them. This is why you will have to contact the example.com.inbound.10.mxlogic administrators for more information.

7. Damon Anguiano

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    ok, Gotcha. Yeah, The filter thing is a McAfee Spam Filter service. When the mail is sent to the mail.example.com server, instead of going to the client, it goes to the Spam Filter first, then to client email, removing junk mail.

If i understand you correctly, once the email is sent from the Mail Server (mail.example.com), then to the Spam Filter(example.com.inbound.10.mxlogic), it will need the outgoing port configured to finish connecting to the Client.

Thank you for your help.

8. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It's important to note that the mail server name that users enter in their email client simply needs to resolve to the cPanel server if that's where their email is stored and sent from. You only need to change that value in the individual email clients if the currently used mail server name no longer resolves to the cPanel server.

Thank you.