The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MX Records for Remote Mail Exchanger Trouble

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by johnnytucats, Nov 22, 2012.

  1. johnnytucats

    johnnytucats Registered

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2004
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    First, I'm not very experienced with using WHM. I'm trying to figure out a problem that happened a few days ago with another administrator (also not that experienced, apparantly) was making changes to WHM (WHM 11.34.0 (build 9)).

    We've had MX records pointed to Google Apps for a couple of weeks with no problem. When the other admin made changes, the MX records stopped working with Google. An MX lookup doesn't return the Google MX records anymore...it returns the domain name ("domain.com") with a rank of 0 (none of the MX Records are entered with a rank of "0"). With the Google MX records entered, and "Remote Mail Exchanger" selected, email doesn't get delivered anywhere. We can get mail back at the Local server if I add the local MX record with a lower priority number than the Google ones and if the "Local Mail Exchanger" is selected.

    Our domain controller is Network Solutions and nothing is odd there.

    Does anyone have an idea of what's going on?
     
  2. johnnytucats

    johnnytucats Registered

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2004
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Update:

    After doing some more research here, I've checked the files /etc/localdomains and /etc/remotedomains to see if the domain in question (mydomainname.net) wasn't or was, respectively, in the file. That checked out OK.

    Also, I edited the file /var/cpanel/users/username to add MXCHECK-mydomain.net=backup to the file. I set as backup so that I wouldn't lose any mail since that's what happens if I just set mail to REMOTE. After this change, I ran /scripts/updateuserdomains as advised in another thread.

    I also lowered a few TTL settings just to see if the new MX settings would propogate a little quicker. I didn't expect this to help any because of the mysterious "Priority 0" I see when doing an MX lookup.

    So, I had my MX settings like this:

    mydomainname.net. 60 IN MX 1 aspmx.l.google.com.
    mydomainname.net. 60 IN MX 5 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.
    mydomainname.net. 60 IN MX 5 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.
    mydomainname.net. 60 IN MX 10 aspmx2.googlemail.com.
    mydomainname.net. 60 IN MX 10 aspmx3.googlemail.com.
    mydomainname.net. 60 IN MX 20 mydomainname.net.


    And all the other stuff I've read seems to check out OK.

    My MX Lookup constantly returns this:

    mydomainname.net. 14400 IN MX 0 mydomainname.net.


    So, it looks like the MX settings are coming from somewhere other than the WHM control panel. Nothing I do seems to change them. They are NOT set at Network Solutions, so that's not the source.
     
  3. faralimite

    faralimite Registered

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    You can try this: wlooker.com (MX Records, TXT Records, IPv6 Records, RDNS Records, SOA

    Record, Whois Records, IP Address Whois Records, Domain Nameserver Information,Traffic Report,

    etc)
     
  4. arunsv84

    arunsv84 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2008
    Messages:
    373
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you provide the real domainname so we can check and guide you.

    Cheers!!!
     
Loading...

Share This Page