The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MX Records

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wanworx, May 9, 2011.

1. wanworx

wanworx Registered

I have configured my MX records to point to my exchange server and it is working fine, however I have a single email address on the same domain that is not setup on exchange and must remain as a standard POP email. I have tried several times to get this setup to work but I either get only the single email address working or only the exchange working. What would the correct configuration be within cPanel to get this to work correctly? Much appreciation.

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You may be able to try setting up your server in a secondary MX record with a lower priority. However, I've never seen this work before when dealing with only one email address for a domain. Your DNS records tell the mail where to go, and the server has a local/remote domain config to identify what domains can have mail delivered on the server. Therefore, you probably will not be able to split up the mail like this - or maybe someone from cPanel has an idea of how to do this properly.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can you provide the settings for your current setup for the domain and exchange server?

If you were using a smarthost router, you might be able to configure this to work for one email address to route differently than the others on the domain, but if you are using MX records for this instead, then there isn't a way to do it per email address (only per domain as Vanessa mentioned).

4. wanworx

wanworx Registered

Thanks for your reply,

Forgive my ignorance, this is my first exchange setup...

I've set my exchange server MX as priority 0 and the domain itself to 1 thinking that if I don't setup that single email address on the exchange server it would "bypass", a theory that doesn't work. My cPanel has a "Email Authentication" page which has an option to add additional MX servers for my domain, setting this to the exchange server address or the domain itself doesn't work either way.

I thought there may be a routing table of sort within cPanel that I could stipulate which email address must use a specific MX, though I don't see an option like that.

A possible resolution that I can think of is to setup that single email address on the exchange server and have it forward to an email address on a different domain, not ideal and not really what I'd like to do.

Thanks again for your time.

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    MX records are by domain name only rather than by email address. There would not be any idea such as a routing table for specific email addresses by MX entries, since these exist at the domain level (and it is the domain rather than email account listed in /etc/localdomains for local email delivery or /etc/remotedomains for remote email delivery).

The only way to have different email addresses route to different locations would be to use a router such as a smart host router to route emails to exchange and the one address elsewhere, filtering, or forwarders. Under the setup you have, it would not make a great deal of sense to use a smart host router, filter or forward for every other email account on the exchange machine when only one email account is going to route differently.

The best idea I can see here would be to change the email address that user has to be a subdomain on the current domain and have that subdomain on the cPanel machine. The subdomain could then receive emails on that user's address and you wouldn't need to forward or filter anything. The only change that would be needed at that point would be to have the client start using that email address in place of the other one.

6. wanworx

wanworx Registered

Yeah that was a dumb thought and the smart host isn't really an option as that user's email is on a notebook and sometimes not connecting with the same internet connection, and like you said it just wouldn't make sense to go through all the trouble to make it work.

Thanks for your help, keep well.