The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My database removed accidentally how to recover it ?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Afqi, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Afqi

Afqi Registered

hello

My forum database has been deleted through cpanel (accidentally)
    I don't know what to do ? more than 6 years forum gone with 2 clicks !!

any how to to recover it ? the only database I have is one year backup
    my host don't have one and they told me that ,I'm the one who should
    make it NOT them

2. canfone

canfone Active Member

check with your host again

Check with your host again to see if they run weekly or monthly backups.

Offer to pay them to retrieve the backup file if necessary.

Any reputable host will at least have a weekly backup available in case the server crashes. With this full backup file (username.tar.gz), if they can place it in your home directory, you can download it, unextract it and obtain the databasename.sql file which you can run with phpMyAdmin to recover the database.

If your hosting provider is a reseller, have them contact the main server operator to obtain the cpanel account backup file -- again I would offer to pay for this if it is important to you.

3. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

if you host is not making backup, there's no way to get the DELETED data back.

however login to cpanel and click on backup, click on generate & download a backup, check if it has a option "system generated backup" and has a button called weekly.

if there's a weekly button, that should give you the backup when the main server owner Ran the backups.

if you are hosted under someone who's a reseller he may not be having full knowledge and would be giving stupid answers.

and lastly, Its certainly time for you to change your provider, did you waited for this disaster to happen, why didn't you backed up on your own when you are running a site for last 6 years.

So learn a lesson and check on weekly/monthly backup and make 2 things as scheduled tasks.
    1). keep your site backup on your local computer, if not weekly, a monthly.
    if its a large file, ask a friend to download it for you.
    2). read the terms of your host and make sure you are provided with atleast one backup ad you should be allowed to create your own backup.

4. Afqi

Afqi Registered

I've never imagine this time will come my 6 years effort disappear .

Yeah my mistake but I need solution any how

15 days ago they ware with "SoftLayer Technologies Inc." (server)
    14 days ago they moved from SoftLayer Technologies Inc. to liquidweb.com
    and now with liquidweb.com they have VPS

they are local company and I know them personally and they told my they don't have any back-up , I don't know much about hosting and coding
    only I managed the forum that's why I have no backup

can softlayer or liquidweb have any backup ??

5. Afqi

Afqi Registered

In Cpanel nothing like "recycle bin"

It should be :mad:

what I know from the computer is that
    when you remove file only the name will be removed , the file will be there
    until another file comes to take its place , so can this help in any manner ?

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

Only they can answer this. You really should be on the phone with them right now instead of posting here. Today may be the day they rotate backups or something, if they have them at all that is.

7. Afqi

Afqi Registered

On phone to do what ? they don't have any back-up
    last time they backup is more than 6 mo , and they are not sure is that
    backup file available or the delete it

8. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

why should softlayer or any other data center have your backup ?

softlayer provides Top quality Hardware and network but un-managed servers.
    if your host didn't created backup, softlayer would not have it.
    I use 3 data centers and no one keeps my backup until its created.

If your host had dedicated server at SL and moved to a VPS, they are cutting cost and will always have such disasters as VPS has limited resources.

If the host is so care-less that they can't even maintain atleast 1 backup a week/month, they are doing dis-service to the customers.

It seems you are a innocent customer who was not even informed that backup's are not created for your account, its pathetic.

check with your host, how did they moved from Softlayer to LW, did they created tar files for all accounts and then restored them.
    if so, ask them to check /home/cprestore/ if it has your moved backup magically.

Else iam sure you would end up only wasting your time and hard work with such a web host.

9. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

If your hosting company is local and you know the guys, ask them to call the previous company. The company may have canceled the account but may have not removed it yet. For example, when we get cancellations on Shared, Virtual or Dedicated hosting plans we keep the them in a suspended state for at least 30 days. This way the customer can come back if they change there mind. If one of these companys does this, then you dont need a backup, all you need is them to turn back on the VPS so you can login and get a MySQL dump of the database.

ALSO! If your hosting company just recently moved servers (providers) and did a cPanel server to server transfer the existing packaged accounts may still exist on the new server. Ask your hosting company if they exist. /home/cprestore/ is where these files are placed, your current host probably doesnt even realize they are there...