The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my domain has gone from its domain name to welcome to yourdomain.com!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HostEmergency, Dec 14, 2005.

1. HostEmergency

HostEmergency Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Funny thing happened and I don't know how to fix.
    Nothing can be done in cPanel or WHM to fix.
    Has to be done in the config somehow... I don't know.. Maybe I should contact cPanel support since my license provider knows nothing about cpanel repairs, I have left multiple tickets.
    Anywho... my domain went from appearing as hostemergency.com to yourdomain.com in cPanel and I can access it in cpanel but it says:
    Welcome yourdomain.com! (should be hostemergency.com)
    MySQL Databases Sorry, your Cpanel Config file is missing your dns info. / unlimited
    Ftp Accounts [an error occurred while processing this directive]0 / unlimited.
    Only my domain affected, no others.
    I can't terminate the account, I can't modify or move it.
    And the site is running fine.
    Please help me with this unsolved mystery!?
    Oh and my mail stopped working.
    Any ideas?

2. HostEmergency

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Just a guess but it sounds like you're logged in under the wrong user. Doesn't it?
    Can you login via SSH and take a peek in the /home/ directory and see if host emergency's account is there? Check your httpd.conf for signs of host emergency's domain?

If you can't find anything there that account sounds like it's been wiped. :confused:

4. HostEmergency

everything is in there files and all.
    Just cpanel has no recoginition of any records of it.
    I can log into cpanel oddly enough with the user name and password... but it doesn't exist on the server but it works.
    I sent off a ticket to cpanel for them to fix because my NOC is entirely clueless. So much so they never responded to my ticket lol.
    And no I'm not logged in as the wrong user, its a root account. Even if I log in with the root password or the user password comes up as same deal.
    I'm so clueless on what to do... Nothing is bouncing back though.

5. HostEmergency

Almost as if it unassigned itself from having a root/reseller account that set it up... trust me I'm confused and this sounds very confusing... I'll probably just delete all the files with SSH and set it up on another server if I can't get cPanel to fix this.

6. fastserversdrew

fastserversdrew Registered
    PartnerNOC

Greetings,

We have found a fix to this issue. It appears that the following conditions must be met to repair the problem:

1) /var/cpanel/users must be set to 711.
    2) each of the user files under /var/cpanel/users/ must be set to 640.
    3) each of the user files under /var/cpanel/users/ must be chown'd to cpanel.<user> where <user> is the username on the account in question.

7. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

Check /var/cpanel/users/username files and make sure that the entry DNS=domain.com is present in every user file.

NOTE: Replace username with the actual username and the domain name with the actual domain name of that user.

8. HostEmergency

Sam from cPanel replied to my trouble ticket:
    The error was caused by the site's configuration file, /var/cpanel/users/****, not having a DNS= entry. This entry matches the site's domain name with the site's main account. This could have been caused by a number of things, such as hostemergency.com not resolving during a cpanel update.

I have modified /var/cpanel/users/**** to include the following entry...

DNS=hostemergency.com

I then ran /scripts/updateuserdomains to synchronize the rest of cPanel with the modified file.

**** represents the hidden username
    Thank you cPanel forum and cPanel support for your help :)

9. Pollie

Pollie Active Member

Some trick to fix ownership when changes are bulky?

Hello,

I have this disruption as well - several Cpanel accounts when logged show yourdomain.com and print two error lines on the top of the screen sayin' they cannot process some directives blah blah . The solution *is* indeed checking/fixing /var/cpanel/users to make sure that DNS=rightdomain.tld is there for the user and chown'ing cpanel.<user> to each user file (thank you guys who saw that). However I have over 1,300 accounts on that server and several of them are scattered with user/group ownerships varying to root - pretty much a random disruption I dont know why it happened. Bulky job is, listing and fixing one by one.

Do some of you happen to know if there's some general command to chown cpanel.<user> over a range of files when user or group matches something else than cpanel and <user> respectively?

Tks a lot

Paula

10. Beverly

Beverly Registered

I have the same problem

xxx
    My website has been down for several months. I've tried to contact everyone. I can't get into my cpanel at all it give me a "server not found" message. so where do I put this DNS information? on my Network Solutions registration?

Sheperd564

11. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

Access cPanel via your IP

12. promixe

promixe Registered

I have the 'yourdomain.com' + [error....this directive] problem as well. However it is happening on my main root domain. What can I modify to add myrootdomain.tld so it lists correctly when accessing myrootdomain.tld/cpanel ? I can't create any email accounts because the domain dropdown lists are empty etc....
    The /var/cpanel/users solution doesn't seem to be applicable because there is no ROOT user there therefore nothing to modify...
    Any solutions to this?

13. hamper

hamper Well-Known Member

Sounds like your provider isn't running any longer Beverly. You need to contact them directly. If you need further assistance, msg me I'll see what I can do to help you.

14. scudd

scudd Registered

Thanks for that and also to WebScHoLaR.. your combined advice worked a treat for me!!

Appreciated!