The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my first vps server and im soo lost please help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by triplex, Apr 19, 2006.

1. triplex

triplex Registered

please help me,
    i don't know what I'm doing

i make a new account i get this error

Warning the DNS MASTER system is depreciated
    and will not be supported in new releases.
    You should switch to using clustering for DNS.

i cannot connect via ftp to accounts i make what am i doing wrong?

someone please help me asap.. i need to learn this stuff
    I'm not new to hosting only new having my own server any help would be appreciated

2. ShockHosts

ShockHosts Well-Known Member

I've never used a VPS, although I have used a Dedicated Server and owned one.

I've never heard of that error, so i'm guessing it may have been part of the setup that is causing the problem. Ask your host I think.

3. Dawzz

Dawzz Member

Where did you set up your nameservers?
    I.E.

Main >> Server Configuration >> Basic cPanel/WHM Setup

is there an ip in the Master Nameserver field?

if so then you need to clear it and ensure that you are using
    the Primary Nameserver and Secondary Nameserver fields instead.

Also make sure that your resolv.conf is setup correctly

4. kdarray

kdarray Well-Known Member

Get a dedicted server

What you have is a VPS or Virtual Private Server which you have leased or rented from a hosting company.

VPS's work like this. There is one dedicated server out there, one box. They split it up and sub-lease as reseller accounts for example as well as regular hosting clients with one domain. So the one server may be split up into 4 sections for 4 different resellers each with their own virtual private server and their own virtual private space. The server may still host several regular old domains or sites, too.

With a VPS, you still never have have root access or control over your private space and often they limit and restrict your ability to do seemingly simple tasks like setup accounts, ftp access, and more.

For each item you are being limited with, you much contact your host and get permission or have them set the proper access in order for you to do what you need. They often must do each thing themselves and you will need to wait for them.

You are dealing with a third party who is controlling what can and cannot be done, even though you have a "virtual private server". You have an "effective server", a "near server" etc. just look up virtual in the thesauraus.

VPS is fine, and especially for people learning. But you must realize there are restrictions for the sake of protecting the entire server overall, not just your private space.

;)

5. Dawzz

Dawzz Member

"With a VPS, you still never have have root access or control over your private space and often they limit and restrict your ability to do seemingly simple tasks like setup accounts, ftp access, and more."

Please elaborate on this statement.

6. avangel

avangel Member

Well, I work for a company that sells VPSes, and each VPS comes with full root access, the ability to do anything you want on your VPS that doesn't violate our AUP (you can still do that, we just turn off your VPS when you get caught), and upgrade/change anything on the system except the kernel (this runs on the hardware node). The only differences between a VPS and a dedicated server are that a VPS runs on the shared resources of a server/number of vpses, and the kernel runs on the node itself for purposes of memory distribution and cpu time sharing.

Are you sure you haven't confused a VPS with shared hosting?

As to the Master Nameserver bit, don't use that. CPanel is telling you that it is deprecated simply because it IS deprecated. If you want to cluster nameservers across mutliple dedicated servers/vpses, use the cpanel clustering feature.

If you aren't clustering DNS across multiple servers, then don't use clustering or a Master Nameserver as you don't need either.

7. randomuser2

randomuser2 Member

You can't be serious.

8. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    i don't think kdarray understands how a VPS works

triplex PM me if you need help setting up your VPS

9. kdarray

kdarray Well-Known Member

I was just speaking from experience with a fellow I know with a virtual private server that was just this restrictive. I was shocked and to me it was virtually worthless. There are plenty of companies and each set their own standards. :eek: