The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My HTML files disappearing always!

Discussion in 'Security' started by Opengates, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Opengates

Opengates Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Please fellow forum members, Can someone help me on what may be wrong with my cpanel. I have three websites hosted by this hosting company but recently discovered that my most important html files have disappeared. I uploaded them again but after two or three days later they have been deleted again. It has spread to my second site now which is a membership site and deleted all the members' html files. Please what do you think might have gone wrong or if you have gone through this kind of problem before, what can I do to counter this? Thanks, I will be expecting replies from you people. God bless.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    First things first, change all your passwords to something much stronger, just because. No way of knowing if someones got into your account, but changing the passwords can't hurt. Next, contact your host. If there's a log of someone getting in and deleting your files, they would know where to look. Third, scan your computer for issues with something like malwarebytes.org

Aside from those tips, there's really not much anyone on this forum can do to help. If your host is not willing to help, find a new host.

3. eUK-Stan

eUK-Stan Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thats right, I don't think that cPanel is the issue here. Rather there is a dense possibility that your account has been compromised. Do as suggested by Infopro.

Your hosting provider is the only one who can help you with this. They'd check the logs and let you know what had exactly happened with your website. If you have a backup of your website's you may upload those, well if you don't then ask the host to do that for you from their backup server. Well, if they don't maintain backups then its definitely time to switch to a more reliable and responsible host.