The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My method for

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by alanp, May 28, 2004.

1. alanp

alanp Registered

Apr 21, 2004

I see that having point to webmail is a pretty common request, so this is what I did to set that up with NO maintenance.

I saw solutions of people using scripts to redirect the browser, etc. My method uses a dedicated IP address for webmail (which not everybody can do, but I found to be the easiest way for me to do this). Since I have extra IPs that aren't allocated to anything, I created a domain called and gave this account it's own IP address. I then set in's zone file:
    webmail IN NS
    IN NS

I then logged into the cpanel for this account and redirected the root directory to (we force users to use horde, you don't have to).

Once this was done, I needed to add A records for webmail.* to the respective zone files. To do this I ran the following commands as root from the shell:

# cd /var/named
    # for i in `ls *.db`; do echo "webmail IN A" >> $i; done

This will add the A record to each zone file that you serve.

I then modified the zone templates to add:

webmail.%domain% IN A

So basically I have it running well, and I don't have to maintain it or fix it if a script breaks.

I realize that this method isn't for everybody, as you need an IP address to basically waste, but it works well for me.

I take no responsibility for you wrecking your system by doing this.