The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new server is not sending emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by npsari, Nov 8, 2007.

1. npsari

npsari Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Hi there users,!

I recently moved servers, from a shared one to a dedicated one, they both use Cpanels

In my shared one, the emails i send used to arrive fast, and they do arrive!

But in my new server now, my sites cant send emails so fast, and it takes 3 hours to arrive at yahoo, and it never arrives at hotmail

I use this normal mailing script...

if(mail($sendto, $subject, $message, "From: $sender")){
    print ("Your message has been sent, Thank you");
    print"Message could not be submitted due to an error!";
    Do you know how can i make things nice like before

Why is hotmail blocking my emails, how can i fix all this
  2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2004
    inside a catfish
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As far as Hotmail/Yahoo are concerned, it may be that your old server had built a 'reputation' with Hotmail/Yahoo - and therefore your mails may have been delivered more quickly and reliably on the old server. You may have to give your new server time to build a good (or bad) reputation with Yahoo or Hotmail.

But, typically, you need to do a few things to help assure that your mails make it to Yahoo and Hotmail.

1. Make sure the main IP address of the server has a proper rDNS entry.
    - 'nslookup ###.###.###.###' should reveal the proper hostname of the server
    - 'nslookup your_server_hostname' should reveal the main IP address of the server

If your main server IP does not have properly functioning rDNS, this will be a problem for mail delivery to many mail systems.

2. Make sure that all of the domains on your server have an SPF record.
    - is a good place to learn about SPF records

You should also make sure that you have an SPF record in place for the hostname of the server.

At minimum, something like the following should be in your DNS zones for your domains: IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ?all"

You should even think about expanding that to something like: IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx a:your_server_hostname ?all"

or IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ip4:###.###.###.### ?all"
    - where ###.###.###.### = your main server interface IP address

3. You may want to enable DomainKeys - search these forums to see how you can do so, or if you can do so with the version of Cpanel you are running.

4. Make sure your main server IP address is not blacklisted anywhere - check - click on the OpenRBL JS Client - then type in your main server IP address.

3. npsari

npsari Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Hey mike

Thanks for the info

i will work on each point you provided me, and try to make things better