ace

Sep 24, 2001
[quote:b7a3302396][i:b7a3302396]Originally posted by kosmo[/i:b7a3302396]

Actually, deo's design is a redesign of iconic: text on the left, icons on the right.

No, it is a redesign of Alabanza's cp: text on the left, icons on the right.

Hm, eeer, ahm, OK, it may be his own design since it has unique icons but doesn't it really look like hostGUI?

Now I know: it looks like Apple's ClickStarter: Icons... but... it has no text.

;) OK. It looks like anything else but it is unique enough to be considered as his very own work.[/quote:b7a3302396]

I think the point was that the fonts, dashed borders, layout, etc. are strikingly similar.

Anyway, if Brendan doesn't care, I guess it's ok...

Pete

Dec 19, 2001
Now children you stop this squabbling right now, it's just not productive and you should have better things to do with your time, don't you???.:p
Have you ever noticed how similar this OBB is to XMB and to VBB which is to IkonBB, etc...
Deo has done a great service for us little guys out here in the field by making his skin available to us. I could care less that it just happens to look like something else out there.. Hell I walk down the street and people swear that I'm the big movie star from the States because we look alike but I've never met the guy, have never had cosmetic surgery, and I am me with my own personality.
My hope is that this little discussion will simply encourage Deo to come up with and make available even greater skins in the near future. I for one will support him for his efforts and thank him for sharing...

fizz

Jan 25, 2002
now thats funny.. xmb doesnt look ANYTHING like obb.. nd if you wanna compare apples to oranges, look at ALL bb's wow, the layouts are almost identicle on ALL OF THEM! XMB looks retarded, gay colors, obb has a pleasing to the eye color scheme, and the layout is actually quite a bit diffrent. If its similar to anything it would be vb. Just my opionion :)

fizz

Jan 25, 2002
damnit, enable edit posts :)

continues from thread above..

im not dissing deo's design at all, infact i like it, we were simply pointing out that they are very similar, to the fact that you think xmb is similar to obb. Although there is a bit more resemblence in the deo-hr cpanel themes.

graham

Feb 7, 2002
It is obviously not the exact same thing but the layout of the page is incredibly similar. It probably wouldn't have been such a big deal but the creator said that he never saw our control panel design before. I find this very hard to believe.

-Graham

moronhead

Aug 12, 2001
[quote:53c1ce5d4d][i:53c1ce5d4d]Originally posted by graham[/i:53c1ce5d4d]

It is obviously not the exact same thing but the layout of the page is incredibly similar. It probably wouldn't have been such a big deal but the creator said that he never saw our control panel design before. I find this very hard to believe.

-Graham[/quote:53c1ce5d4d]
Have you checked out the whole skin Deo released? Are there similarities in every single page? And why don't you start selling yours? It may sell like hot cakes. ;)

ace

Sep 24, 2001
[quote:70d8d217bc][i:70d8d217bc]Originally posted by moronhead[/i:70d8d217bc]

Have you checked out the whole skin Deo released? Are there similarities in every single page? And why don't you start selling yours? It may sell like hot cakes. ;)[/quote:70d8d217bc]

Why would they want to do that? Their site and cp give them an edge, in my opinion, and if memory serves, the cost of both was thousands and thousands of $$.

For some reason there's not a demo of deo's skin, I'm guessing to deter ripping. ;)

deodreamer

Jan 7, 2002
Well, this is going the opposite direction it was going before I released the skin.

Graham, think about it. Do you really think that if i had seen your skin I would design a skin that could very well be considered similar and risk myself being considered the &Kmart& of the skin creators? hell no.

Now im not trying to brag, but i am fairly well known within the graphic design industry and have worked with major corps with graphic and 3d commercial design. And i dont steal ideas.

I will have a skin out early next week. I have nothing more to say about the stylusblue skin.

~Deo

ace

Sep 24, 2001
Deo, this isn't just about you, and I think we're all agreed that your theme rocks... but, being as webhosts are going to be using a theme that is similar to a well known competitor, that's where the problem lies.

Also, a lot of great work is &inspired& in some manner or another, I think graham and brendan's issue is the denial. A simple &Yes, I saw their theme, it gave me some great ideas which I expanded on& would of sufficed.

moronhead

Aug 12, 2001
[quote:2c667ce591][i:2c667ce591]Originally posted by ace[/i:2c667ce591]

[quote:2c667ce591][i:2c667ce591]Originally posted by moronhead[/i:2c667ce591]

Have you checked out the whole skin Deo released? Are there similarities in every single page? And why don't you start selling yours? It may sell like hot cakes. ;)[/quote:2c667ce591]

Why would they want to do that? Their site and cp give them an edge, in my opinion, and if memory serves, the cost of both was thousands and thousands of $$.

[/quote:2c667ce591]
That's exactly the attitude that large distributors have towards Cpanel/WHM that is now being scrutinized elsewhere in this forum.

Two interesting facts:

1. Forum user Graham from hostrocket (just 2 messages so far to his credit and both of'em in this thread) never before had been or had contributed to this forum until you probably tipped him about Deo's skin. Once more it goes to show the lack of interest shown by some larger distributors in Cpanel/WHM's affairs.

2. OK, it is known that you are hosted by him. But why would you reply to questions posed to him instead of him? ;)

MyKuL69

Registered
Feb 7, 2002
This is my 1st post....eeek....

I am not a graphic designer, nor do I have a creative bone in my body. I am, however, a user - a user of Desktop Themes (back w/ Win95), and now a user of Window Blinds. I am also heavily into case modding [modifying PC cases for asthetics, and functionality].

Now, I am prolly gonna get flamed here being the n00b, but in my 8 years on the net, I have seen a TON of desktop themes, icon suites, and winamp skins that are VERY similar. Likewise, I have seen a bunch of case mods that are strikingly similar. What does this have to do w/ the skins here in question? Well, not much except for the fact that sometimes it's hard to come up with ideas that no one has thought of before.

Are the 2 skins similar? Yes.
Did Deo steal his idea from Graham? I doubt it.
Did graham steal his idea from Deo? I doubt it.

Again, I am no expert in this field, but it doesn't make sense to me that either one would &steal& the idea or concept from the other and bring it into this community knowingly.

Maybe I am way off base here, and if I am - heh - it wouldn't be the first time. My point is that accusations flying around do nothing but hurt the community as a whole.

Just one n00bs 0.02c - -

ace

Sep 24, 2001
[quote:7d2073a764][i:7d2073a764]Originally posted by moronhead[/i:7d2073a764]
That's exactly the attitude that large distributors have towards Cpanel/WHM that is now being scrutinized elsewhere in this forum.[/quote:7d2073a764]
Sorry, I don't understand this one. 1.) They're not a distributor, and 2.) If they were, why would they want to make your business look better?
[quote:7d2073a764]
Two interesting facts:

1. Forum user Graham from hostrocket (just 2 messages so far to his credit and both of'em in this thread) never before had been or had contributed to this forum until you probably tipped him about Deo's skin. Once more it goes to show the lack of interest shown by some larger distributors in Cpanel/WHM's affairs.
[/quote:7d2073a764]
lol. Hostrocket, if memory serves(?), uses webpanel, which might explain why they are not active on this board.
[quote:7d2073a764]
2. OK, it is known that you are hosted by him. But why would you reply to questions posed to him instead of him? ;)
[/quote:7d2073a764]
I am a webhost, I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that I'm hosted by Hostrocket. They do, however, provide a dedicated server for OpenBB, but that doesn't, in any way, make me biased... If I were, then I would be providing the server space and placing banners on the site, not hostrocket. My interest in this was simply from a webhost's point of view. The similarities, which may have gone un-noticed to many hosts would undoubtedly raise some questions for that host. It happens all the time.

deodreamer

Jan 7, 2002
Ace,

What I would like to know is, if your so quick to accuse me of stealing someone elses design, then why would you email me begging for a free copy of the skin?

It doesnt make sense for someone to ask for a skin for free cause you dont make alot of money, then turn around and start badmouthing about the same skin you've been begging for on the board.

~Deo

ace

Sep 24, 2001
lol.. Begging? OpenBB is a free product, generates no revenue, (one that I noticed you yourself use - so take from the community, and not give back?) and given your abundance of graphic skills, it would have been a nice addition to OpenBB. We're always looking for talented individuals, and as I indicated, it would be a great way to promote your services. That was before the similarities between your skin and hostrockets were noticed.

graham

Feb 7, 2002
All I am saying is that I find it very hard to believe that his theme was not 'inspired' by ours. It is not stolen but I would say the layout and font/size is very similar to ours. In the other thread a few people even brought up that it looks like ours(before we even mentioned it). Deodreamer also states:

&Hmm, I had never seen thier cp before now but I dont think ours looks anything like thier cp. Too many differences for it to be even considered.&

I think more than a few people can agree that there are similarities between the two.

-Graham

deodreamer

Jan 7, 2002
So, you notice the similarities of my skin and someone elses and all of a sudden im the thief?

I was going to give it to you, but it just seems as if your fighting a battle that cant be won, or lost for that matter. I dont like my skin looking like someone elses, let alone charging for it. This has become more of a headache to me than anything else. All I was trying to do in the beginning was see what people had to say about my skin. Then people begged for it. And now, you have to accuse me of stealing someone elses work. Trust me, if i would have seen hostrockets theme, i would done things very different.

And even still, you should ask for something for free while everyone else pays, and then turnaround and badmouth the product. Its not a very just thing to do.

So can we just drop the similarities between the two skins? After all, does hostrocket have a js dropdown? is thier skin set in frames? The only thing that could be considered similar is the layout of the main page. Nothing more. So quit whining and find something better to do.

~Deo

graham

Feb 7, 2002
moronhead-

I wasn't aware of these forums but have been aware of OpenBB for some time which is why I came here and registered today. Sorry if I don't have a billion posts, does this not make me qualified to post?

-Graham

graham

Feb 7, 2002
First of all, I don't think I accused you of stealing our design and if I did I am sorry as that is not what I meant. I just found it hard to believe that you have never seen our design before making yours.

-Graham

ace

Sep 24, 2001
[quote:b83f6d103c][i:b83f6d103c]Originally posted by deodreamer[/i:b83f6d103c]

So, you notice the similarities of my skin and someone elses and all of a sudden im the thief?
[/quote:b83f6d103c]
[b:b83f6d103c]NOBODY[/b:b83f6d103c] has accused you of being a thief... Nobody has even said it's blatantly stolen from Hostrocket (HR didn't even say that) - All that was pointed out, was that it was similar. That is not uncommon... Ideas get stuck in a designer's head, and their work reflects it - there's nothing wrong with that at all. My only problem (as well as others, apparently) is that you denied the similarities.
[quote:b83f6d103c]
I was going to give it to you, but it just seems as if your fighting a battle that cant be won, or lost for that matter. I dont like my skin looking like someone elses, let alone charging for it. This has become more of a headache to me than anything else. All I was trying to do in the beginning was see what people had to say about my skin. Then people begged for it. And now, you have to accuse me of stealing someone elses work. Trust me, if i would have seen hostrockets theme, i would done things very different.
[/quote:b83f6d103c]
Again, I never once accused you of &stealing& someone elses work. I merely pointed out the similarities, for [b:b83f6d103c]YOUR[/b:b83f6d103c] own benefit, as well as hosts who may use it. Do you really want to sell a theme that can be considered questionable?
[quote:b83f6d103c]
So can we just drop the similarities between the two skins? After all, does hostrocket have a js dropdown? is thier skin set in frames? The only thing that could be considered similar is the layout of the main page. Nothing more. So quit whining and find something better to do.
~Deo[/quote:b83f6d103c]
You could of mentioned those additional features earlier, or provided a demo to remove all of this doubt.

I think you are taking this far too personally, and you need to learn how to handle constructive criticism better. I receive 20 e-mails a month containing something to the effect of &Is OpenBB a vB ripoff?& I don't get defensive, angry, and rude. I simply say that yes, OpenBB does look similar to vB. vB looks similar to uBB, both of which are considered to be top-notch. Some of the best ideas are those inspired by something else. The problem comes in when a developer or designer starts getting defensive and rude, thus making themselves appear as if they are hiding something.

Anyways, I think this has been exhausted enough. I apologize if you have taken my comments as being made in a spiteful tone, and I assure you that wasn't the intention. Best of luck.

moronhead

Aug 12, 2001
Go Deo, go... Show Graham and ace what you are made of. ;) Get a couple of new killer skins in by next week and forget about their whinings. Just don't waste your time here answering them. They are just trying to distract you. Poor ace, he can't get hold of hostrocket's skin despite plugging in their hosting in a flashy banner on his website, so he comes begging to you. What a state of affairs... Well, hostrocket is just envious that you are doing a better job than their multi-$$$ designer. You are winning and we are behind you (metaphorically speaking, of course).