The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My ratelimit database is huge!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mctDarren, Mar 3, 2008.

1. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a script that scans the server every other day for large files, and lately I have seen /var/spool/exim_incoming/db/ratelimit grow pretty darn big. I noticed that exim_tidydb didn't have ratelimit or the exim_incoming directory within the settings, so I added them. But it didn't help much. The file is still huge despite exim_tidydb cleaning it out.

I see there is a lock file for ratelimit. Is it okay to delete the ratelimit file? Will exim rebuild it? Right now it's 40MB large - is that too big?

Thanks!

2. matthewdavis

matthewdavis Well-Known Member

Ditto here.

My ratelimit dbs range in sizes from 2.6 meg up to 630 meg.

It is safe to delete it, it'll be rebuilt. My concern is why is there no method to remove old entries, or maybe put a size limit cap on the file.

3. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

On two of our machines the ratelimit file jumped to 4 GIGS. We deleted them and it started bulding normally again. Saw it happen only once on each machine, probably over the course of one night each. Must have either been an outside attack OR some kind of loop in the logic that builds the ratelimit file.