The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My redirects aren't working.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alexhumphrey, Dec 16, 2011.

1. alexhumphrey

alexhumphrey Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    My hosting provider uses cpanel. I have recently changed my wordpress website from alexspeaks.com to entreprelife.com. I was able to transfer everything over pretty easily, but I lost all my google search results in the process.

So, I've redirected the domain alexspeaks.com to go to entreprelife.com. That works great! However, when I try to redirect specific blog posts (alexspeaks.com/opening-an-american-express-savings-account-is-dumb to http://entreprelife.com/opening-an-american-express-savings-account-is-dumb) it continues to go to the alexspeaks page.

I have it set up as a 301 permanent redirect, I've chosen alexspeaks.com as the domain, I told it to work with or without the www., and I have wildcard unchecked.

It says it's redirecting it, but when I type in the link it won't redirect. What am I doing wrong?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please try to check wildcard instead for the redirection, since you do want wildcard re-directions to work.

3. JohnSimpson

JohnSimpson Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    This is probably too late for you, but this is what I discovered today.

I was trying to do exactly as you and set up a redirect from an existing Wordpress installation to a new server where it's been moved to with a new domain name. The redirect just didn't work.

The problem is in having Permalinks enabled, which rewrites the .htaccess file. If you look at the .htaccess content it becomes obviously why. Removing the Permalinks option to the default URL-Filename instantly makes the redirect work.

Hope that helps someone else.