The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my server is hacked by whm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tohamy, Dec 10, 2004.

1. tohamy

tohamy Registered

please help
    my server is hacked rooted

he can list accounts please see the bug and tell me to fix it

thanks

2. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

WHM didn't hack you. You need to secure you server with a firewall and other such measures. There is a good guide here on the forums on the basics of securing a server. I highly recommend you hire one of the companies such as www.rfxnetworks.com to secure your server.

3. Etheral

Etheral Well-Known Member

RFX Networks has great free-open source Linux security software, and VERY easy to install! http://webhostgear.com is a great place too if your not so familiar with securing/running your own server box! :) You could also try hiring a System Administrator. That may be a bit of cash, but if you get a good one, it can save you a pain in your ass, that would never go away... lol

4. Tagor

Tagor Well-Known Member

I guess someone broke in using brute-force. Get brute force detection and use a longer / more difficult password.

5. Etheral

Etheral Well-Known Member

Yes, brute force detection can be found at the RFX website, id also suggest setting up your .bash_profile to send you an email with the host of whoever log's in via root... Also using MD5 or Sha1 for your password isant a bad idea either!

PHP:
    <?php

echo sha1("YourEncryptedPassword");

?>
    around 50 alpha-numaric characters.... makes it a bit difficult to crack! But make sure you save the password... dont want to loose it lol