The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My server under attack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jackmaninov, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Jackmaninov

Jackmaninov Member

One of the sites hosted on my server has had a bit of a run-in with the operator of a competing site, and now it seems my server is under attack.

For a few hours a day, load on the system increases dramatically. I've seen a 15 minute load of 140! After spiking, I get an apache failure notification, and load will go down until the next day. While this high load is occuring, the CPU is mostly being used by system, with a typical top reading giving over 90% system usage. I'm assuming this is caused by httpd process forking; the number of httpd processes jumps during each attack.

Additionally, I have a TON of connections listed as TIME_WAIT when I do a netstat -an. They are all pointing at port 80, and are from random IPs, which I assume are spoofed, as I can find no long-term pattern to them or their source ports. Filtering out traffic from individual IPs in the TIME_WAIT state has no effect.

I have followed all the recommendations I can find for repelling a SYN flood attack. TCP syncookies are on. I have reduced the TCP keepalive time from 7200s to 30s.

Other recommendations I've seen include tweaking apache. I'm using the following related settings:

MaxKeepAliveRequests 50
    KeepAliveTimeout 5
    MinSpareServers 5
    MaxSpareServers 10
    MaxClients 170
    StartServers 15
    MaxRequestsPerChild 10000

I've also just installed Bastille, with no effect.

I'm running out of ideas here! Any suggestions would be most appreciated

2. mrprez

mrprez Well-Known Member

Cancel his account if he can't get along with others!

John

3. Jackmaninov

Jackmaninov Member

Serious suggestions would be more appreciated then shallow, obvious solutions.

4. mrprez

mrprez Well-Known Member

I am being totally serious. He has caused this problem, deal with it.

John

5. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Get proof of the attack and approach the attackers provider.

6. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I know this is very old, but did you manage to find a solution for this ?? I had the same problem appear on a customer server.

7. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Don't know if this will help.

But, my NOC/DC has spent a fortune in hardware and software to detect and squash attacks. If they don't automatically detect one and I find that one of my servers/IP's are under attack, I just give them a call and they tweak their settings. All handled at the switches and they never charge me to provide a higher level of security.

8. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hmm... nice.

9. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

This, IMO, is what I pay my NOC for! Dedicated server lessees and Colo's can't (or shouldn't) be expected to enable all security options on a server by server basis when this can/should be addressable by NOC hardware/software.

10. djoverho

djoverho Active Member

Hi...do you have a firewall enabled on your server? We had similar attacks from an Asian ISP, we were getting bombed with attacks that would eventually overload Apache and crash the server. We use APF firewall, www.rfxnetworks.com, so I just blocked the entire range of ips, which brought an immediate stop to the attacks. You can block single ips or the whole range..we just blocked the range because if we just blocked the ip they would come back with another one right away. Its a very simple program to install and to block ips all you type is apf -d 111.111.111.111. Just a suggestion...hope this helps.