The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My step by step guide for newbies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The 11th plague, Sep 6, 2007.

1. The 11th plague

Here is the guide I written for newbies. What do you think of it ? Is it useful ?

Well, did have you ever used a Control Panel (CP) ? First of all, try to understand it: there you can change your password, manage files (upload, decompress, download...), and make all basic things in a easy way.

Then, let's think about the website itself: if you know how to use a so called What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) editor, then you can make your site without many problems, and then upload it.
    If you can't use such a editor on your PC, then you can use a Content Management System (CMS) with a integrated one. I would suggest you CMS Made Simple: go on the official website and download the latest version on your computer.
    This site uses cPanel as control panel, and this description is based on it.

To install a CMS you the rights to use a database. Here is where the control panel becomes useful: login to your CP, go in MySQL Databases, create a database, then create a user, and give this user all the rights over that database.

Well, you also need to upload the CMS. The easiest way to upload files is using your control panel: open the File Manager and remember files should be uploaded in the public_html directory to be found by your browser. So, click the icon on the left of public_html to enter it, now click the Upload button, then click Browse... and select the CMS archive (.zip or .tar.gz) you previously downloaded on your computer, click the new Upload button and...wait some minutes.
    The bigger is the file you want to upload (and the slower is your connection Grin), the longer you'll have to wait; when the file is uploaded, a message will appear.

Now it's time to decompress the archive: click on its name, options will appear on the right, click on the Extract option and wait until the archive is decompressed.

You are almost ready to install your CMS: go into the decompressed directory clicking on the icon on its left. If you uploaded CMS Made Simple, then the path should be public_html/cmsmadesimple-1.1.2 you need to create a new file called config.php here, to make so, use the "Create new file" function that should appear as a link over all file links, in your cPanel.
    To simplify the name of the directory, click on the cmsmadesimple-1.1.2 name: use the "Rename this folder" option that will appear on the right to rename the directory to cmsms.

What's left ? Well, running the installation: open a new page in your browser.
    Now, there is a difference between the directory link used in the cPanel, and the link used in the browser. In the browser link, the /public_html/ thing is hidden, you don't type it, so the link will be something like: yourname.yourhostname.com/cmsdirectoryname
    If you are using CMS Made Simple, your browser link will be: yourname.yourhostname.com/cmsms (or /cmsmadesimple-1.1.2 if you didn't rename it).

On a step you'll be asked for some informations about your MySQL database, you can find the correct information using your cPanel, in the MySQL Database section.

#1 The 11th plague, Sep 6, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

If this is the "Broken English Guide To Installing a Content Management System - 1st Edition", then it's fantastic.

;)

3. The 11th plague

Ahem, could you signalate/correct my grammar mistakes, please ?

Thanks. :D

4. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Well, I was going for a gentle laugh, but my point is that while your ideas are good it might be too much work getting the english right. I am not sure if english is your first language or if you were just rushing through your post, but it was confusing and not likely to help people in it's current format.

5. The 11th plague

My native language is Italian, but it's my way of thinking that's not so clear :rolleyes:

May I add number the steps, add images or something like that ?