The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My System is Slow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UndeaD, Jun 23, 2005.

1. UndeaD

UndeaD Well-Known Member

my system has been working very slow since 6-7 weeks ago. Server status is normal and there is no download on the server. what is problem? :confused: :confused:

My System : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+ ,, 1 GB Ram
    installed programs on the server ; aPF & BFd & Mod_Dosevasive
    Fedora Core 3

[​IMG]

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You need to be more specific. What is slow? What have you don't to investigate? Have you checked through your server logs and run top when things appear to be slow? If they're slow and when you look in top you have very low load averages then it's most likely going to be network problems.

3. derqqqq

derqqqq Member

Hello Chirpy, I am getting this kind of problem, my server performance is very low, when I open web pages hosted on my server, and sending and receiving mails is very slow, when I do a top, nothing strange or heavy is running, and in my logs, for example looking for a abandon queue there is nothing about it.

2 days ago I did restart the server and it did fly again, but yesterday became slow again, so, you say there could be a network problem?

on my DC performance is great, do you think I do have to change the network card, or what do you recommend me to check?

thank you.

4. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

There are so many things involved in network speed. Knowing about the specs of your server hardware will help before making recommendations/suggestions.

5. drupal

drupal Active Member

Although I do not know what the problem is, if I were you I'd spend some dough and get a sysadmin to take a look for you. For the price that some of these guys charge, it would be cheaper getting one of them, then spending your time guessing and maybe making it worse.

Just me pennies.

6. derqqqq

derqqqq Member

Hello, this my hardware info:

Dell PowerEdge 2850

2 Xeon 3.0 Ghz EM64T

1 Gb RAM

2 80 Gb SCSI disks in RAID

2 NIC 100 Mb (actually I am just using one interface)

Running RHEL 3.0 64 bits

apart of cpanel, just running a couple of scripts like crm-ctt

anything else you need to know, just tell me and I'll post it.

thanks in advise.

7. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

The specs of your server are great. SSH to your server and run this command:
    ps auxf

Copy and post the results here. Better yet, save the results in a text file and attach to your response. In addition, you might want to include a copy of the results returned by the command top

Did you check the log files including
    /va/log/messages

#7 AndyReed, Jun 24, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  8. derqqqq

derqqqq Member

thank you for all your help.

I send you the ps auxf and the top results, also I attach the chkrootkit result, wich is complaining about Bindshell and Slapper Worm (I have made a google research and is not yet clear to me if I am infected, I have read sometimes these are false positives).

What exactly should I have to search for in my /var/log/messages ?

thank you again!

Attached Files:

9. derqqqq

derqqqq Member

Hi, I just want to complement the info I sent in the last post, hoping somebody could tell me if Im getting paranoid cause this is just a bandwidth issue, or if you do recommend me to reinstall everything and have a new beginning (wich I am thinking about it seriously)...

lately I have had lots of mail issues: time outs and very slow response while receiving mails, lost messages, delay for hours (even between domains hosted in my only one server!), and like if spamassassin and clamavconnector were not installed my customers are getting a lot of spam and viruses.

so 2 days ago I decided to install the "Spam+Virus Protection for cPanel server using
    Exim+Exiscan+Clamav+RBL+Spamassassin+SARE+Razor+DCC" solution based on the rvskin page: http://www.rvskin.com/index.php?page=public/antispam

but one day after I did this, we woke up with more complains than ever, so I just pointed Exim to its default system filter file (/etc/antivirus.exim instead than the created /usr/local/cpanel/base/eximacl/antivirusandspam.exim), but although complains reduced slightly, there were no big change.

just restarting the server everything became faster... but just for a few minutes.

I attach you 2 images from my daily (from friday at 6:00am - saturday at 2:00pm) and weekly bandwidth usage... which are for 140 domains.

something I am afraid is that all this bandwidth is from spammers who maybe are sending mail through my server... as you can see, outgoing traffic is more than twice than the incoming traffic, and when I do a netstat I get various UDP connections in high ports (higher than port 30000) see netstat.txt

any comment would be greatly appreciated...

thank you.

Attached Files:

10. derqqqq

derqqqq Member

Hello guys

any comment?

I would like to know the point of view of you the experts...

thank you.

11. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator