My VPS cpanel port was changed by .. a ghost or something..

Pham Huy Anh

Registered
Nov 21, 2014
Hanoi, Vietnam, Vietnam
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi all,

Story in short, my cpanel was changed from 2083 to 444 by something I don't know. Since it is changeable , I would like to change it to 8080 so that I can access it from my company firewall. Or at least change back to default one (tired of manually typing 444 all the time).

Story in full detail:
...About more than 1 month ago, my apache server became very unstable and WHM and cpanel auto restart every 5-10 mins or so. Googling the whole night suggested me that recent update from cpanel causes conflict in port 443 (SSL something). I disabled it, apache and WHM went back to normal but cpanel nowhere to be found.

Days after mailing back and forth , Godaddy supports found out that cpanel port had changed from 2083 to 444. I asked how and why !! But the answer is something like "Sorry, your account is VPS, not dedicated, don't have to tell you details. Go google yourself". Same answer for how to change port to 8080.

Note: I have googled and browsed the forum but couldn't find the answer.
Thanks

dalem

PartnerNOC
Oct 24, 2003
SLC
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
You can change the cPanel port by editing this line in /var/cpanel/cpanel.config

port=2082

& restart

/usr/local/cpanel/startup

The port= directive in /var/cpanel/cpanel.config sets the non-SSL port. The SSL port will be one higher

24x7ss

Sep 30, 2014
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hello :)

Also, it seems the VPS is root compromised as the port was changed. I would suggest you to start digging deep to get to the root of how exactly the config got changed.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

In addition to the previous post, note that you can use the proxy subdomains feature if the standard ports are blocked by your company firewall:

Proxy Subdomains

Thank you.

Pham Huy Anh

Registered
Nov 21, 2014
Hanoi, Vietnam, Vietnam
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thank you guys!! I am so sorry, was so busy last 2 weeks, didn't have time to apply your technic until 1 hour ago.

Changing port= 8079 as dalem hinted does help!! No I can do cpanel freely from my company network.

Now I am studying cPanelMichael's technic, I am so greedy here, want to do WHM as well, mwahaha

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I am happy to see the issue is now resolved. Thank you for updating us with the outcome.