The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My website Re-directing to cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cdogstu99, Feb 23, 2012.

1. cdogstu99

cdogstu99 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello, i'm on a VPS plan with Hostgator. I just switched from one of the shared hosting plans. This move was made over two weeks ago. Ever since they made the move to VPS i'm having issues only from one ISP whenever i go to the website i get redirected to the cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi page.

I've contacted hostgator and since this seems to be isolated to just my machine/ISP they claim it is a cache issue. But i'm stunned that a cache issue would be going on for over a week.

Weird thing is that when i go to www.mywebsite/index.php i can see the updated version of the website and i can see my cpanel (using version 11.30.6)

I showed some of the posts from this forum to hostgator and they claimed that they rebuilt the apache server and the virtual hosts file (?).

But still getting the error. Can anyone help out?

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think there are too many unanswered questions that could take forever to get answered in a forum dialog.

I agree it is a caching issue -- but what needs to be determined is if it's an ISP DNS caching issue, an ISP web caching issue, or a DNS / web caching issue on your local LAN.

Since you say you only have the problem when you try to view the site while using a particular ISP, I'm assuming that you have tested that same PC on internet connections using different ISPs?

Really, it could be a windows resolver cache issue, a cheap SOHO router with poorly functioning DNS cache, a web proxy/cache issue somewhere inline. Without details it's difficult to advise you. And I don't imagine you want to provide the details publically or you would have done so already.

If it were me, I'd first reboot any routers you are using on your local LAN [if you're using DHCP and are using the router's built in DNS service]. Then, if I were running any Windows version I'd reboot the Windows box [or at least close all browsers and MS mail clients and do an ipconfig /flushdns from the computer you are on]. Then I'd do an nslookup from the local machine to see if it's resolving to the right IP address.

If it isn't resolving to the right IP address, I'd then suspect that the upstream ISP has some DNS caching issues.

However, f you can view http://www.mywebsite/index.php from any connection but are not able to view http://www.mywebsite from all connections, it sounds like a web cache/proxy must be inline between you and your server or you need to clear your temp internet files and/or force a refresh of your page loading in your browser.

Mike

3. vlee

vlee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This can also be cause by DNS cache being not released on the computer.

Have you tried using different DNS servers besides your ISP DNS like google and so on.

I use these below

Some times changing DNS on the computer then clear out the cache and ARP tables does work.