The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My websites sometime are down

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Giselle_Ceballo, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Giselle_Ceballo

I have a reseller account the uses Cpanel. It is one of the big companies in the Market that i have the reseller account with. My clients complain that sometime their websites are down. I checked myself as well and i found out it is true. Sometimes when this happens, I use just the domain name with extension (e.g dot com) and they show up. I have spoken to my provider and they say everything is fine. Can someone let me know what may be the cause of this.

Thanks

#1 Giselle_Ceballo, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  2. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There are a few possible problems, what is the exact error you get when the sites are "down" ?

3. david510

david510 Well-Known Member

4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

This is where you really need an expert because the normal average person is incapable of making the determination if a site is really "DOWN"!

When you think a site is down, it may legitimately be down and there could be hundreds of different reason for that but then again maybe it is not down at all and maybe it doesn't even have any problems whatsoever!

You might be banned or blocked from the server as for example doing something to trigger the firewall on servers with good security and then it drops the packets from your computer! The server and all the sites on that server are actually alive and well and visible to the whole entire world except you! The site is not offline -- YOU ARE!

In the same respect, maybe you aren't banned from the server and maybe there isn't anything wrong with the server either. Maybe you have something wrong with your computer at home. Your own firewall security at home can block you from being able to reach your web site. This is very common when user's upload files to their hosting accounts with FTP but forget or don't know to set their FTP software to "Passive Mode" and their own firewall (including even the Firewall built into Windows) will misinterpret the outbound FTP transfer as an incoming hacker attack and block the connection thus blocking you from reaching your own web site until the block is removed or times out from your own computer. In addition you may be having connectivity problems or a host of literally thousands of other possibilities all on your own computer at home! Then there is the factor of your local ISP who may be having routing or load issues in your neighborhood or perhaps DNS resolving problems as many ISPs utilize route caching which may become corrupt!

Speaking of ISPs, it is possible that the problem exists in a totally different area that people are more ignorant of these days and that is problems out on the open internet between your computer at home and the web server that you are trying to reach. There are many instabilities, traffic problems, routing problems, failed gateways, and a condition from the old days that everyone used to know but they don't teach too much anymore called netsplits which are still very common where the internet frequently fragments into a bunch of smaller networks each like their own islands and you can reach everything on your network island but not elsewhere while someone else in the world might be able to reach your site easily but not the things you can reach at home, etc. These conditions out on the internet can also make sites appear slower when they are actually moving fast or appear down when they are actually fully online and working 100% perfectly!

Bottom line though is there is hundreds of thousands of possibilities and this is an area where you really need to be a well experienced expert to say with any authority that a site is really down and if it down, why? And if it is not actually down, then why do you think it is? What is really going on?

Then of course there is the possibility the problem just simply exists between your keyboard and the chair! :D

#4 Spiral, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009