The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mysql 3 support ended...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dezignguy, Jan 5, 2005.

1. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

According to the changelog, mysql3 support has ended as of january 1st, 2005. I'm wondering if that means that I will be forcibly upgraded to mysql4 next time I update cpanel or if I can upgrade on my own manually, when I can make sure it's done right? All cpanel update settings are set to manual.

From what I can remember, I read somewhere that the safest way to upgrade to mysql4 from mysql3 was to dump all the databases to sql files, upgrade mysql, and then reimport the databases? Then there was a permissions/priviledges fix script to run?

2. oanielsen

oanielsen Member

I have searched high and low for some sort of How-To on upgrading from 3.23.56 to 4.0.XX, but have not found anything. If anyone out there has done this, please help!

3. brentp

brentp Well-Known Member

cpanel upgrades to 4 by installing the rpms, nothing special. And yes, you probably will be forced to upgrade to 4, if you dont and your mysql plays up cpanel wont offer you support, its exactly the same if you run 5.

Regards,
    Brent

4. dezignguy

Hmm... well I've just upgraded to the latest cpanel mysql 4 (4.0.23-standard). From 3.23.56. No apparent problems.

I'm probably the last person to be using it still... but here's my experience.

Upgraded cpanel to the latest release (cPanel 9.9.9-R157)... and the mysql3 option has disappeared in Tweak Settings. Switched it to mysql4. Did /scripts/sysup and rebuilt apache... still using mysql3.23.56 though. Went through the scripts and figured I should use /scripts/mysqlup - did that, and it installed the mysql4 rpms. Changed the root password. Checked database permissions... they seem alright (so I don't have the problem that some have reported with the mysql upgrade resetting the permissions and allowing users to see all databases on the server.) All sites using sql are up and running fine (and perhaps maybe just responding a little faster too. ;-D)

5. oanielsen

oanielsen Member

Thanks for the info. I guess I will take the plunge this weekend around 1:00 a.m. (to give me ample time to fix any big problems).

6. dezignguy

well... it would help to backup all your databases first... ;-)
    I did this:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    for db in `mysql -u root -pyourpassword -q -B -e 'show databases'` ; do
        echo "Backing up $db"
        mysqldump --all -C --quick -u root -pyourpassword $db > $db.sql
        gzip -9 $db.sql
    done

7. oanielsen

oanielsen Member

Just thought I would let you all know that I spent an hour backing up, dumping, and copying all data that I thought could be lost, changed the tweak settings from 3 to 4, ran sysup and whalla!! Everything works great and no need to restore anything. All I really had to do was re-set the root password and update the priviliges table. Cool! :) Everything is much faster, lower server load and now I can use and abuse sub-queries!

8. dezignguy

what did you do to update privileges table? What did you update?

I had an issue with a client's php app (that my company created for them)... and I had to go in an give their user permissions for 'Create Temporary Tables'.

I did do /scripts/cleanupmysqlprivs - but looking at the commands that the script runs, it disallows tmp table priviledges. So I'm assuming that most users shouldn't need it.