The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL 4.0.12 Corruption People!!! READ!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shaun, May 13, 2003.

1. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

I know alot of you guys are experiencing this problem. I know i am, and it's starting to happen more and more. The problem appears to be with the mysql rpm packages provided by mysql. I dont think these guys are taking it very seriously so lets show them how many of us are actually having this problem. Their is a bug open with them. As of now, only 3 people (includeing me) have confirmed this problem.

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=197

go to that url and you will see a sections that says "Have you experienced this issue?" and "Rate the importance of this bug to you"

Have you experienced this issue?: YES
    Rate the importance of this bug to you: HIGH
    Are you using the same version?: YES
    Are you using the same operating system?: YES

Select those and then click Vote

2. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

We have over 2,000 clients, one of which ever had his problem and that was on the first day of upgrading all servers to 4.012. We have never had another occurances of this happen since. Hmm i wonder why? What did we do properly? Different servers all with different hardward configurations including dual pentiums. You obviously have not optimized and been through the necessary procedure to properly upgrade and optimize your servers for MySQL.

#2 sexy_guy, May 13, 2003
    Last edited: May 13, 2003
  3. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

so rpm -Uvh is wrong? Also you shouldnt have to "Optimize" software in order for it to work correctly, sure optimize it so it runs faster and doesnt consume so many resourcee.

Why dont you enlighten us.

4. sexy_guy

rpm -Uvh? Where did that come from? Howabout letting cpanel do the update then following the instructions here to optimize it and to get rid of your problems? And that will be $5 please. http://forum.rackshack.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20983
    And dont mind the boobs! :D

5. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

/scripts/sysup uses rpm -Uvh ...

And again why should one have to optimize in order to get a service to run how it should...

Here's the definition of Optimize: Computer Science. To increase the computing speed and efficiency of (a program), as by rewriting instructions

Having mysql corrupt a table is not a normal operation.

6. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Book definitions and real world are very rarely the same thing. :D

7. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

maybe he should have used the work tweak....

i've never heard the term of optimize used to make somthing work...

Point is it's not working how it should...

8. sexy_guy

And I'v never head the word "work tweak.... as quoted above.

Well its mentioned that one should be paying attention to http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Upgrading-from-3.23.html. And maybe you should be following that guide. If you choose to do it your way then expect have problems. Thats all i can say to that. I followed the guide, the how to, the my.cnf changes and i have 0% problems. And if its not working whats stopping you from downgrading? HINT HINT!

#8 sexy_guy, May 13, 2003
    Last edited: May 13, 2003
  9. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

first you say to let cpanel do the updates automatically and now i suddenly have to use the guide...

Again MySQL data corruption is not normal... The upgrade instructions you posted have nothing to do with MyISAM tables... they simply create/remove some entry's in the MySQL DB (the actuall database named mysql).

10. JeremyV

JeremyV Well-Known Member

So what did I do right considering hundreds of cpanel databsaes among many servers are still working 100% fine after the upgrade? If only a few users are having issues, it is most likely an abnormal configuration or something since there are literally hundreds of cpanel users who have not experienced a problem. I know I didn't do anything special or fancy to get it to work.

11. sexy_guy

I said let cpanel do the upgrade to v4.012. Then use the guide posted to optimise your installation. I dont know how much simpler one can make this.

12. eva2000

eva2000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    with work on my own and 8 other cpanel/whm dedicated servers, no have had the 4.0.12 recurring corruption issues in nearly a 3-4+ weeks (since mysql 4.0.12 was updated)

for vB clients that did have corruption issue, mysqldumping their databases and creating a new empty database and reimporting the sql dump into their new empty database have solved their recurring corruption

from the corrupted tables i backed up before mysqldumping, i compared the corrupted tables with the recreated ones from the sql import and noticed the index file data length is shorter in the corrupted table

so it could be corrupted index file which can't repaired by regular repair methods

i'm not sure how far you guys went to repair the recurring corrupted table, but methods such as REPAIR TABLE, and mysqlcheck -r can't repair all forms of table corruption (as stated by mysql.com docs themselves)

backing up the entire mysql data files, then shutting down mysql server and running

myisamchk -o /var/lib/mysql/*/*.MYI

-o means safe recovery option and not optimisation

is probably best to fix this

or just recreate all the table index, definition and data files by mysqldumping and reimporting into a newly created empty mysql 4.0.12 database

#12 eva2000, May 14, 2003
    Last edited: May 14, 2003
  13. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

eva2000: I'll give that a try. I'm doing some testing on a cupple diffrent machines for testing. Out of 150+ machines i manage it seams only a few are having this problem. My Guess is it's only high usage MySQL users since it only seams to be happening with forums that have heavy traffic. Probably some do and some dont experience this problem.

sexy_guy: i'm not going to sit here and argue with you about this... I've read the docs, and everything was done like it should have been, This is not a normal problem and like i said before, optimizing is not a solution.

Right now, just to make sure it's a MySQL server problem i have build php with --with-mysql=/usr so that the API version match. eva2000: if this fails me i will try you solution.

14. eva2000

eva2000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    my vB forum get's 200-900+ users and generates around 70-300+ mysql queries/second with whm/cpanel and mysql 4.0.12 and PHP 4.3.1 recompiled with --with-mysql=/usr (which i do everytime i upgrade mysql) not a single corruption in nearly 6-8 months now!

i only use cpanel stable release and manually update cpanel and auto update darkorb and security updates

15. hotice007

hotice007 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

We downgraded to version 3.23, and everything has been working fine ever since.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: