The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mySQL 4.1 client authentication

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sHORTYWZ, Jun 29, 2005.

1. sHORTYWZ

sHORTYWZ Well-Known Member

Alright, I just upgraded to CentOS3.5 from Redhat9.

With RH9 I had PHP working just fine with mysql4.1 using the new passwords - hence, all of my users have new passwords stored.

After upgrading to CentOS I recompiled apache to include another aspell as it was requested by a user. Now I am having the famous "mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client" error.

I have recompiled apache/php with easyapache more times than I can count trying different options. Use System mysql checked/unchecked, ran /scripts/mysqlup --force to refresh all of that stuff, still no luck.

It's simply not feasable for me to use old passwords at this point as that would require all my users to go back and reset their passwords - a nightmare I'm not willing to go through.

Anyone have any ideas? I am waiting for a reply from EZSM at the moment but want to see if anyone has any suggestions in the meantime.

Thanks.

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

This is NOT Cpanel problem and you should have searched MySQL Web site before posting this question. :rolleyes: It is common to experience such problem when upgrading MySQL to v4.1. The solution is posted on MySQL Web site: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/old-client.html

3. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Did you compile php to use the system mysql or the mysql bundled with php? What does the relevant section of phpinfo() show?

4. mynameislee

mynameislee Member

Hi sHORTYWZ,

There is an option to fix this in Tweak Settings.

"Use old style (4.0) passwords with mySQL 4.1"

Lee.

5. sHORTYWZ

None of you guys quite grasp my problem =)

phpinfo shows:
    Client API version 3.23.49

I have checked use system mysql and recompiled - it should not be compiling 3.23.49, it should be compiling using the system mysql of 4.1.11.

Simply switching to old-passwords will not work for me as for the reasons stated in my original post..

Let me rephrase my original post to make my question a little more clear... the only thing that was actually a *question* in there was th is:

Why isn't the mysql module in php being compiled by easyapache picking up my system mysql?

#5 sHORTYWZ, Jun 30, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  6. casey

casey Well-Known Member

You should try compiling it manually. See if there are any errors in the compile.

7. sHORTYWZ

Did a manual compile of PHP and everything is working peachy keen. Still curious as to why easyapache was ignoring the use system mysql option.

Thanks to the half of you that tried to help =)

8. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    if you tick 'use system mysql' in the php builder, it will insert --with-mysql=/usr into the php configure. That will make it use the MySQL 4.1 libraries and not the inbuilt 3.23 ones.

Using just --with-mysql will make it use the inbuilt 3.23 libraries which do not work with 4.1.

Regards,
    Alan

9. sHORTYWZ

That's the thing, when I went and looked at a phpinfo afterwords, it wasn't showing the --with-mysql=/usr option. It was still using the regular option.

10. rwoliver2

rwoliver2 Member

I'm having the exact same problem on one of my servers. It has to be a bug in easyapache. I am manually compiling PHP 4.3.11 now with a fixed config line, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Rob

11. rwoliver2

rwoliver2 Member

A manual compile of PHP 4.3.11 did solve the problem, and now the new MySQL 4.1.x libs are working.

Does anyone know how to fix the buildapache script so that it will use the MySQL 4.1.x libs instead of the PHP built-in ones? The "Use System MySQL" link is just not working.

This is a fairly serious problem.

Rob

12. gemby

gemby Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Nope, leave it like this, we have to wait until cpanel guys fix damn thing, i posted yesterday link to old easyapache from my box and howto manual install, but, today this post is missing, do not know why moderator did it, but ok, if you think that this is safe, ok. I am allmost sure that i checked, and post was there, it was late, an i am not 120% sure, but i am now sure that post does not exist. I know that you cpanel guys do not work on weekends, but we have to work.

13. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It works fine if you use the "Use system mysql" box ticked.

Regards,
    Alan

14. sHORTYWZ

Not with the latest version of easyapache - did you real the whole thread? :)

More information available here:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=38290

15. rwoliver2

rwoliver2 Member

I've opened up a ticket on this issue, ticket # 104425

Hopefully we'll get a fix to buildapache soon. Very soon I hope :(

Rob

16. gemby

gemby Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Its is like that for a few days now, did you manage to make it work? If you dont, try to put buildapache form other unupgraded box...

cd /home/cpapachebuild

rm -rf buildapache*

sh buildapache.sea

if you do not have unupgraded box, pick it form mine.....

cd /home/cpapachebuild
    rm -rf buildapache*
    wget http://lin4.mojsite.com/buildapache.sea
    sh buildapache.sea

it is two weeks old version, but at least it does not break everything...

I realy hope that this post wont disapear again!

#16 gemby, Jul 3, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  17. rwoliver2

rwoliver2 Member

Thanks for posting that. That may help. If Cpanel support doesn't come through in 2-3 days, I will get that.

Right now I'm using a PHP compiled from source. Here's my config:

Code:
    ./configure --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs --with-xml --enable-bcmath --enable-calendar --with-curl --with-dom --with-dom-xslt --with-dom-exslt --enable-exif --enable-ftp --with-gd --with-jpeg-dir=/usr --with-png-dir=/usr --with-gettext --with-imap --with-imap-ssl --with-kerberos --enable-mbstring --enable-mbstr-enc-trans --enable-mbregex --with-mcrypt --with-mhash --enable-magic-quotes --with-mysql=/usr --with-openssl --enable-discard-path --with-pear --with-pspell --enable-xslt --with-xslt-sablot --enable-sockets --enable-track-vars --with-ttf --with-freetype-dir=/usr --enable-gd-native-ttf --enable-versioning --enable-wddx --with-xmlrpc --with-zip --with-zlib
    This produces a version very similar to the Cpanel one, with a few extras I like :)

Robert

18. rwoliver2

rwoliver2 Member

I've been taking a look at the recent Change Logs.

I'm trying not to be overly critical, but why are superficial features like this:

Add a "magic" way to get cPanel Vars into php

var_dump($_CPANEL);

done instead of fixing critical bugs, like this one, which can break PHP/MySQL on any server quite easily.

Again, I know everyone has their priorities, but don't show stoppers like this one deserve a little more attention?

19. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Nobody has posted a bugzilla ID regarding this, has this been submitted to the bugzilla system ? If not, you knocking on the wrong door by submitting this only to the tech's via support. Get the bugzilla ID posted to this thread, and get those that are experiencing issues to vote on the bug and referrence that bug in the said ticket.

20. sHORTYWZ