The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mysql 4.1 is now production ready

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gunmuse, Oct 29, 2004.

1. gunmuse

gunmuse Well-Known Member

2. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    4.1.7 is the *first* production quality version. i dont think it'll be a cpanel update that soon. the first production quality update usually has issues. example is php 5.0.0

3. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    MySQL 4.0 was a bit of a disaster when it came out. We will be holding off for a few months until we thing 4.1 is stable.

4. Sinewy

Sinewy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    just a suggestion: maybe 4.1 could be added to Tweak Settings with !!BETA!! around it?

5. rachweb

rachweb Well-Known Member

I have test 4.1.7 with cpanel and it is not working good. There is many bugs that must fixed first. You can beter wait on the next few releases

6. gunmuse

I like the Beta idea otherwise how are you going to FIND those problems that your concerned might be there.

And not to be rude but "having problems" is not specific and there is no way for anyone to judge what your doing is a problem versus the upgrade went wrong or your software on your server is the one really having the problem with a newer version of software.

The best play would be an upgrade option to 4.1.7 call it beta and allow a downgrade to 4.0.22 downgrade option for those finding software issues.

7. anup123

anup123 Well-Known Member

i believe starting mysql with --new switch in 4.0.22 does allow one to test for the new features or something which are there in 4.1.x Not sure on this though. Has anyone tried this?

Anup

8. gunmuse

Well I just tested it on my local with my software WOW. You won't believe how fast phpmyadmin snaps open large(41mb was mine) dbs. And that is on a Windows XP local. I can't wait to see this on my Linux box. Opening up that db on my local used to take 12-15 seconds nows its just a blink.

So I think the Faster Mysql is not a bluff but a reality this time. As it was supposed to be faster when moving to 4.0 but I never really saw the speed increase.

I will try that --new switch ona mysql start and see what that does. thanks for the tip.

9. LP-Trel

LP-Trel Well-Known Member

In reality if you know how to make it work, 4.1.7 can work just fine with cPanel. I would recommend you wait until it is officially supported though. :cool:

10. gflamerich

gflamerich Well-Known Member

Don't forget innodb_file_per_table available since 4.1.1

We are awaiting 4.1.x release for months, and hope don't have to wait to long from now.
    We actually have few clients using InnoDB tables and there are problems when moving accounts, the data from InnoDB tables doesn't move with Cpanel account migration, just empty tables.
    Also space used by InnoDB tables are not assigned to each client. All tables are in keep in one HUGE ibdata1 file so we have a lot of space used by clients but reported as mysql.

Sincerely hope Cpanel takes the need of this upgrade as a must.
    Thanks
    GF

#10 gflamerich, Nov 9, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  11. gunmuse

I joined the MySql mailing list to see what kind of problems people are having. Most of it is UTF-8 compliance (Which I tested with the above suggested switch).

BTW to test your server for 4.1 compliance add this to your my.cnf file.

[mysqld-4.0]
    new

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Upgrading-from-4.0.html If you want to read about all the little quirks that come with upgradeing to 4.1.7

For some (like those using innodb) it will be a bigger task.

basiclly it looks like the SAFE way to upgrade is to do a complete mysqldump and reload the tables after you have upgraded. I hope that cpanel looks at this as the WAY to do the upgrade automatically as it will save everyone so much grief by automating a difficult process.

I was reading somewhere that something else had to be updated with phpmyadmin itself for use with 4.1.X

I have been running it on the New switch for 4 days without a hiccup.

We upgraded our local to 4.1.8 and we are rewriting our search software to use the Mysql subsearch queries which should increase our search speed by 3-500% by eliminating the php handshake of Array data.

12. sirmanson

sirmanson Member

Sad

This is extremely sad. Mysql 4 has been in beta and gamma testing for over a year now. It's not like it was a surprise that it was coming out and what changes would come with it. The cpanel folks could have been writing updates & such this whole time. Extremely sad and poor foresight.

13. SethWebster

SethWebster Registered

Agreed

I agree with Sirmanson. Not only has mysql 4.1 been in development for quite a while, the claim that the calls made by WHM/CPANEL will be affected by the change is proof of a poor architecture within the package itself. If they had properly abstracted the database layer it would be a simple process of updating the one layer. Also, if they had done this, it would not be much of a hassle to allow side by side 4.0 & 4.1 servers.

I would expect, that with as many licenses as cPanel has sold, and considering how fast their competitors are updating their respective packages to allow for third-party software updates, that cPanel would be more on top of things. But alas, as a cPanel user of over a year now, I have come to expect different.

We have just begun using Helm on a newly purchased windows box. While it was completely unfamiliar upon first glance, it was apparent immediately how much better the framework of the software was. We found that it was easily integrated with many of our existing solutions, and was extended fairly easily.

Not the case with cPanel. While I will say that cPanel has a host of great features, it's lacking in feature #1 -- Support.

Seth Webster
    President
    Webglimmer Internet Solutions

#13 SethWebster, Nov 29, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  14. heyjohnboy

heyjohnboy Well-Known Member

status?

Just wondering if 4.1.8 has been integrated with cpanel at this point? If so, could someone explain how to upgrade? Thanks.

15. gunmuse

No, Intergration is not done. I think this is a cpanel intergration to that mysql and not a server issue. There is another post on the forum somewhere for running dual databases.

16. brentp

brentp Well-Known Member

ive told this to people over and over, ive got a post titled "MySQL 4.1.7 Install Instructions" i just updated it last night for 4.1.8.

Regards,
    Brent