The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mysql 4.1 to mysql 5.0 risky or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bsasninja, Apr 30, 2007.

1. bsasninja

bsasninja Well-Known Member

Right now Im running mysql 4.1.21 server / php 4.4.6 with lot of databases, fantastico scripts, etc.

If I upgrade to mysql 5.0 using the option at tweak settings in WHM, could cause that some bases brokes or mysql 5.0 reads 4.1 database structure well?

I wait comments.

Thanks

2. katmai

katmai Well-Known Member

actually i had no problems with this, i had problems with php5 when i tried to go for it, because some app was old, but with mysql 5 all went really nice, and nothing was broken.

3. bsasninja

bsasninja Well-Known Member

After updating mysql in tweak settings, do I have to rebuild apache again?

Thanks

4. rone

rone Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    yes you have to. You can find your answer in your own WHM panel in Tweak Settings. You will find the the txt

" MySQL Version to use (you must run Software/Update Server Software (or /scripts/mysqlup) for this to take affect. You should then run buildapache/easyapache after changing this option. You may also need to run /scripts/perlinstaller --force Bundle :: DBD :: mysql. Updating from a previous version of MySQL to a later version is not automatically reversable. You should backup your databases if you think you might wish to downgrade in the future."

Succes

5. S-Combs

S-Combs Well-Known Member

Many current PHP scripts still have problems with MySQL version 5.+ because of it's default recommended sql_mode settings.

PHP:
    sql-mode=STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION
    In Strict mode, Mysql requires all INSERT querys to include values for all fields otherwise they are rejected and errors are returned.

Most PHP scripts have been developed using 'and still contain' empty field inserts within their install dumps as well as code that allows these thruout.

A quick example of this I find in the latest CS-Cart release but most other scripts still contain the same problem.

You can avoid these errors by changing the sql-mode to MYSQL4 or even commenting that line out completely until the various developers can update their products or another workaround is found..

There are also known issues with various Char. sets and MySQL 5 so you should research further prior to making this upgrade.

#5 S-Combs, May 1, 2007
    Last edited: May 1, 2007