The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL 4.1 update killed Exim/MailScanner

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by madmac, Jan 4, 2006.

1. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

Yesterday I upgraded to MySQL 4.1, which in itself went very smoothly.

Then I re-compiled PHP.

I then tried to do `/scripts/perlinstaller --force Bundle::DBD::mysql` but got some error about $Cpan::Config::commit subroutine not being found and the perl installer quickly exited.

So I install Perl 5.8.7 from Layer 1, and try again, but get the same error.

Try /scripts/sysup and /scripts/upcp --force but still same error for any perl updates/installs.

And I started getting a bunch of emails about eximstats failing (because the DBD::mysql wasn't updated), and it is getting late, so for the time being, I just shut off eximstats.

Today then, it occurred to me that no email was being delivered to accounts on the server.

So I go back to trying to track down the $Cpan::Config::commit subroutine problem. I run cpan, and it hasn't even been configured, so I go through the configuration steps, and then update the CPAN Bundle.

Now, try to update DBD::mysql again, and it goes now. Wonderful. Now restart eximstats and it does not fail.

while looking through the forums for answers, I come across the mailscanner update script (/scripts/mailscannerupdate), so I run that, and also run /scripts/eximup

Now check on the maillog (tail -f /var/log/maillog), and notice that MailScanner is trying to start up but is caught in some loop, complaining about ClamAV Perl not being installed.

So I install Mail::ClamAV from cpan. It complains that ClamAV is out of date, but installs none the less.

So then I update ClamAV to the latest stable.

Now, I restart MailScanner and it seems to be happy now.

I keep watching the log for a bit and when it comes up to process the queue, it tells me that about 900 messages are waiting, and then I get 3 messages that it is doing a batch of 30.

In batches of 30, it will take forever to get caught up. Is there any way I can force MailScanner to process all the mail until it is caught up?

Also, is there any way that I can test that Exim/MailScanner are now working correctly again and delivering mail? I tried sending myself an email, and nothing came through, but the mail server being backup up from not working for about 15 hours could explain that. Is there some manual test I can perform? I only know of `exim -bt` but obviously that won't since all deliveries are handled by MailScanner (that is the message it gives too: "user@domain.com cannot be resolved at this time: All deliveries are handled by MailScanner"

#1 madmac, Jan 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Since MailScanner isn't part of cPanel, support for it really isn't appropriate if it's not working. I can only suggest that you reinstall/upgrade MailScanner. For help with the perl modules, have a loomat the per module thread that's currently being discussed regarding CPAN.

3. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

I appreciate the comments, but not sure what they have to do with the 2 specific questions I asked. I didn't even ask anything about Perl in the first place. I realize my post is kind of long, but still if you're just going to read the title or only skim over it lightly, I'm not sure why you'd reply then.

But in any event, the 2 questions are at the very end to make them easy to find (and yeah also a trick to see who really reads and who doesn't ;) ), but incase you missed them, here they are again.

1. Is there any way I can force MailScanner to process all the mail until it is caught up?

2. Is there any way that I can test that Exim/MailScanner are now working correctly again and delivering mail?

4. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

PS. I will update MailScanner since I am updating my software anyways, but still that doesn't help me test it. Surely there has to be an way to manually test MailScanner short of sending yourself an email and just waiting.