The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL 4.1 Upgrade Catastrophe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Artifice, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Artifice

Artifice Registered

Hi all,
    My server was recently upgraded to mysql 4.1 (from 4.0.38). It ran fine for a day, and then Apache failed for some reason and, (according to my host) mysql 4.1 prevented apache from restarting, resulting in 13 hours of "downtime". When apache and whatnot was brought back up, a whole bunch of issues occured:

- Hosting accounts who used Mambo ended up with just the template and no actual content or options on their pages. I checked their dbs and they all contained the relevant content for each page and didn't appear to be modified in any way.

- Hosting accounts who were using Invision Power Board v1.3 could only view forums that were viewable to all (i.e even when logged in on an admin account, forums that were viewable only to unlogged accounts could be viewed.). Despite this, the board still reports 300 members and 4000 posts etc. A check of the database confirms this, with all of the posts and members still existing.

The server was downgraded back to 4.0.38 but the issues prevail. Has anyone had any experience with this? From a database point of view, everything appears to be correct, but when viewing the page, things are not displaying.

This has me utterly stumped :confused:

2. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any problems with my 4.1 install. Everything has been running smoothly from the moment it was upgraded, and to prevent Apache errors, you just need to recompile PHP.

On a friends server that I upgraded to 4.1, it did have a problem, and it needed to be reverted back to 4.0.23, then set the root pass, then upgrade again to 4.1, then set the root pass again, and everything was good.

3. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

hmm... if blue|fusion's advice doesn't help... check your database user's info and permissions within mysql itself. Priviledges table.

Edit: I think there may be some cpanel scripts to do that too... not exactly sure which ones though. search these forums.

#3 dezignguy, Jan 25, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  4. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

I think a few scripts will have issues with 4.1 - there are some changes to functions such as timestamp and a few more that may cause issues with commonly used scripts, shopping carts and other applications that aren't compatable with 4.1

I would make sure that all your scripts are fully compatable or you at least know how to make them compatable if you are upgrading.

Do you have a backup of the database(s) /var/lib/mysql that was made prior to the upgrade? If you do then you could try restoring the backups with the old version installed again.

#4 DigitalN, Jan 25, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  5. Blue|Fusion

Actually, by just downgrading, it will still preserve your databases, and still work properly in 4.0.

6. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

You would think so..but

He seems to have issues still.

I would still recommend backing up all db's or the entire directory /var/lib/mysql before such an upgrade.

7. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

Where did 4.0.38 come from? Thelatest MySQL 4.0.x version is 4.0.23 (and within cPanel it is 4.0.22).

8. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

jsteel, Maybe you need to run /scripts/mysqlup? My cpanel server is using "4.0.23-standard". I updated to mysql4 from mysql3.23.56 a couple weeks ago.

9. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

...and where did 4.0.38 come from with this user complaining.

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

When "they" upgraded to MySQL 4.1 did they actually follow the instructions provided by cPanel in WHM for 4.1:
    So, after the upgrade, as dezignguy says, you have to run /scripts/mysqlup and then you have to rebuild apache/php. IF they didn't do that, then maybe that's where the problems you are seeing come in?

11. andreseso

andreseso Member

Mysql nightmare

As with artifice I had the brilliant idea of upgrading the system mysql to 4.1. As with chirpy soon the apache stopped working. I read that php 4.3 is not stable with mysql 4.1 in the php.net site.

I have recompiled apache and php several times and I am not able to get apache with php to work. As I read that mysql 4.1 is not compatible with php 4.3 I am planning to stick with mysql 4. As we have several applications that are not guaranteed to be compatible with php 5 we are sticking with php 4.3

I have seen nothing strange in the apache error logs. If anyone knows where mysql keeps its logs I would like to look them over.

Any help on getting apache + php + mysql to work again?

12. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

I have 2 production boxes now with about 625 sites total running 4.1 and latest buildapache seconds after ..still on 4.3.10 PHP . I had one site that had a couple of issues but this was a custom script and the guy was asking for 4.1 so he knew what to do to get his scripts back. I have about 50 forums / OSC,s and haven't heard any yelling yet, It's been about 4 days I guess. So far so good. I have noticed loads seem a little lower. Not 100% sure it's mysql but seems to be.

13. Blue|Fusion

I have had 4.1 running on 3 production servers, 2 FC3 and 1 RHEL3, all with 100 clients or more for more than a month now. Alot of forums (vB, IPB, and phpBB) as well as many custom scripts. The only problem I see now is when someone tries to export the database and import it to a 4.0 or below server, it fails to import as it has extra stuff in there that 4.0 and below is not compatable with (collation, etc.) but opening the sql file in a text editor and removing the proper entries and it works fine.

14. andreseso

andreseso Member

Mysql nightmare

The backporting to mysql 4.0 did not work. The dumps from 4.1 were incompatible with the spanish accents.

What I am going to try now is to reinstall mysql 4.1. Restore the /var/lib/mysql directory and delete the /usr/local/apache directory and compile from scratch. I am going to keep you posted.

15. andreseso

andreseso Member

Its been working longer than any time today

Moving /usr/local/apache out of the way did not work. /etc/httpd.conf was reset to a basic state without any VirtualHosts. When I inserted a backup of the configurationf file the bytes_log module was not found.

I ended up reinstalling mysql and recompiling apache and php with easyapache until I managed to tell it to recompile apache even if up to date and to reset the apache configuration. Since I had commented out the directives regarding bytes_log they had been deleted from the configuration file. From the backup configuration file I restored the LoadModule and AddModule for that element as well as for GeoIp. Then Apache started failing with Overlapping Virtual Host messages. Skimming through the backup configuration file I discovered that the <NameVirtualHost x.x.x.x> directive that goes before all the <VirtualHost x.x.x.x> was missing.

Now it has been working half an hour. That is by far the record today. I hope it stays that way.

By the way I am running Cpanel 10.0.0-C107 on RedHat Enterprise Linux

16. gunmuse

gunmuse Well-Known Member

To make a sql export compatible backward simply put it into notepad and strip out all the latin1 calls or anything else that stops the insertion.

We have had our local up to 4.1.8 for some time and have to do this when moving to production machine.

I am at this very minute updating to 4.1.8 on the production machine.

Lots of hangs while testing connection speeds. LOTS OF HANGS I thought the script failed.

I ctrl-c'd to get them moving seemed to have worked.