The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL 4.x upgrade.... Think First Before Upgrading..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sitehostz, Apr 6, 2003.

1. sitehostz

sitehostz Well-Known Member

I know that from reading the forums that alot of people seem to jump as soon as upgrades are released for almost anything regarding cpanel just like the MySQL Upgrade.

Just remember that not all PHP/MySQL scripts support all of the features or use some of the older features when running the latest versions of software. Unless you know what kinds of scripts your clients are running, You should do a little research first. Simply upgrading to a new version of PHP or MySQL could cause many of your client sites to become in accessible.

Think before you upgrade... It will save you alot of hassles.

Regards,
    Chris

2. JeremyV

JeremyV Well-Known Member

Good tip.

Although, I know most of my customers have been bugging me about upgrading mysql/php for quite a while, and have had about half a dozen potential customers ask if we had upgraded yet. Obviously, that was half a dozen customers we don't have now due to not being able to upgrade as soon as we wanted to.

But it is always a good idea to notify your customers of a change before making the switch, so they can't claim you supprised them :D

3. HostIt

HostIt Well-Known Member

Fair call, but we're not talking about incompatibilities with client sites - we're talking about one update issued by CPanel.net adversely affecting a separate piece of software utilised by CPanel. Different ball game. :)

(Admittedly, waiting to update until you know there's no bugs like this could be considered a sensible option however - but hey isn't that what the edge releases are for? :p)

#3 HostIt, Apr 6, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2003
  4. Networkologist

Networkologist Well-Known Member

Lurking...

From a newbies perspective, How do you know if a particular upgrade is going to break something?

5. casey

casey Well-Known Member

You wait for other newbies to try it out and when something breaks and they can't fix it they'll post here.:D

6. Networkologist

Networkologist Well-Known Member

I resemble that remark!

:eek:

7. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Although this sounds like a good idea, it is not feasible nor a practical reality.

To go through one Server(s) and see who is using what, then try and determine if the (name of software) upgrade is going to cause problems, would be a never ending nightmare for any SysAdmin.

Much easier to wait, as mentioned, to see if others are having problems "at the Server level" with the upgrade(s) and if possible fixes/patches are mentioned -- and hopefully they do work. ;)

After that, send an eMail to your Clients, advising them of the up coming upgrade and "have them" do any necessary checking for whatever they are using. Given enough time between notice and upgrade, Clients on the ball will check it out and report back anything of a potential problem. Then one can do further checking or provide some advisement, as to what a particular Client can do.

Gotto love those situations when we can tell a Client what to do and get away with it. :p

8. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

Thats incorrect, alot of us upgraded to fix other problems which then deployed MySQL. If i knew about it i wouldnt have upgraded not for awhile anyway.

9. brandonk

brandonk Well-Known Member

lol:D